Chapter 26: Magical Wine

⸞۞⸟

Chapter Twenty Six

The window screen above the canopy bed was left partially opened, allowing the refreshing gentle breeze of the early spring in as the two pairs of eyes stared at each other heatedly, one with unhidden anticipation, the other with helplessness covered with unmoved façade. The light, cool wind softly caressed their faces, ruffling their long soft hairs along with the red sheer curtains of the canopy bed, ruffling it like the thoughts inside their heads.

A long silence lasted before the one resting on the bed finally moved, propping her upper body up with one elbow, and tilting her head to study the man in pristine white robes standing beside the canopy bed. His white robes were quite striking against the festive decoration of the room just as how the attention of the beauty on the bed was only paid to him.

The woman on the bed, Wei Wuxian, slowly repeated the question that he initially meant as a joke but now with an ulterior meaning behind it. Letting every words softly escape from his lips he asked, “Do you really want us to sleep in separate rooms?” He paused, slowly unhooking the veil from his ears with his free hand to reveal a coquettish curve on his lips, as though provoking whatever patience left on the other man. “Hanguang-Jun?”

Lan Wangji remained silent, breaking their eye contact and looking down as he stood beside the bed where Wei Wuxian was lying, one arm behind his back, hiding the hand that tightened up slightly.

Wei Wuxian laughed at Lan Wangji’s response or lack of rather, “Fine, fine, you don’t have to answer.”

With Lan Wangji’s character, even if you ask him, he might not give you an answer.

Wei Wuxian’s first intention in asking this shameless question was just to tease Lan Wangji. But after noticing how Lan Wangji hadn’t responded even after so long, Wei Wuxian couldn’t help but feel some anticipation on the other’s response. It was unfortunate that Lan Wangji was still as unmoved as ever, or so he thought.

When Wei Wuxian realized it, his hands were already pinned down above his head. The curvature of a teasing smile was frozen on his lips with the eyes that were slowly turning from mischief to regret.

Lan Wangji was above him, one hand restricting Wei Wuxian’s mischievous paws and the other supporting his body. Their faces so near Wei Wuxian could feel the other’s warm breath on his face, causing it to heat up unreasonably.

Lan Wangji, “Do not tease.”

His voice was low and deep, serious and demanding, but Wei Wuxian had somehow saw the illusion of pleading on Lan Wangji’s tone.

Wei Wuxian was tongue-tied. He could feel his heart pounding on his chest, blood rushing on his head, numbing his mind, and preventing him from thinking straight.

It was true that in Wei Wuxian’s first night in Chongyang, Lan Wangji had stayed in the same tent with him. Howbeit, no one would doubt Lan Wangji’s decency and ethics. Of course Wei Wuxian knew that Lan Wangji’s sole purpose in staying with him throughout the night was only to help him remove the thin layer of resentful energy that was surrounding his body. After that event, they started to live in different tents. So Wei Wuxian had really no idea if Lan Wangji had the intention to further develop their relationship. Wei Wuxian felt hope blooming in his heart. Was this finally the chance to move to the next stage?

The smile slowly dropping on Wei Wuxian’s lips quickly curved back. Lan Wangji frowned, barely holding onto his self-control. Taking advantage of Lan Wangji’s inattentiveness, Wei Wuxian made successive swift movements, freeing himself from Lan Wangji’s grip, and flipping the two of them so that Lan Wangji was lying on the bed while he was on the top of him.