Chapter 8: Baba

۞
Chapter Eight

Xuanzheng era, year twenty. Qishan Wen Sect's flames of arrogance burned even brighter, putting a massive show of force to assert its indisputable position as the head of the cultivation world.

Corpses covered all lands. Blood flowed like stream. The peace that the predecessors had once thrive to give the Wulin was now dishonored like dirt by the overbearing Wen Sect, with the lead of the great oppressor, Wen Rouhan.

The burning down of Gusu Lan Sect did not satiate the hunger of Wen Sect for dominance. Soon enough, the Yunmeng Jiang Sect was next exterminated. Two great sects were made as examples to repress the voices of resistance. Many other sects, no matter how large or small, were also cracked down upon and turned into Supervisory Offices, making no effort to even give fake justifications.

What could they do? Those who tried to defy the will of the sect that deemed itself as the absolute power only brought about the calamity of annihilation upon themselves, hadn't they?

This time, the cultivation world that once provided the ordinary people with peace and order was thrown into mayhem, a damnation that would leave no one unscathed.

But did Wen Rouhan really expect for others to stay forever mute under his tyranny? To succumb in this injustice without a fight? Didn't they say, corner a dog in a dead-end street and it will turn and bite? People who have nothing to lose, robbed of ways to retreat, and pushed to a point of desperation, will eventually retaliate even if it kills them in the process.

It didn't take long for the first arrow of desperation to be fired. Just when others were losing hope after the decimation of the Yunmeng Jiang Sect, news about the burning of an entire Supervisory Office in Yiling, though was tried to be suppressed by the Wen people, had reached the ears of the other sects. It was said that the massacre left no survivor, including the youngest son of Wen Rouhan, Wen Chao; the infamous Core-melting Hand, Wen Zhuliu; and the dexterous Qihuang Healer, Wen Qing. What's more interesting was the fact that the culprit seemed to vanish into thin air. Even the powerful Wen people had no ability to catch them let alone know their identity.

This successful assassination had brought upon a great boost in the morale of the resisting factions, prompting the Gusu Lan Sect to immediately organize a meeting to discuss about the sects' next step.

Many people speculated that it was the Gusu Lan Sect who obliterated the Yiling Supervision Office. They believed that it was the sect's act of revenge and a plan to lure more people to their faction in preparation for the looming war.

Then, if it's the act of revenge, why not kill Wen Xu who led the attack against them?

This caused another conjecture, saying that it was the Yunmeng Jiang Sect who did this for revenge. It was actually more believable, only if the Jiang Sect wasn't the most laughable among the victims of the current oppression, leaving only three survivors whose whereabouts were unknown.

However, the truth was what no one had ever once saw coming. Wen Qing who was supposed to be dead emerged as the mysterious culprit who machinated the Yiling Supervisory Office massacre, shocking the whole cultivation world! She brought under her banner the majority of Wen Sect's branch families, leading a campaign to overthrow the regimen of their main clan!

Who would have expected the first action to come from within the ranks of the Wens, that the Wen Sect people would be the one to start the war against their tyrannical ruler?! The most astonishing part was that the head of rebellion was Wen Rouhan's trusted aide, his personal healer and favorite niece, Wen Qing!