Chapter 14: Hanguang-Jun 《OG Timeline》

۞

Chapter Fourteen

OG Timeline, 13 Years After Wei Wuxian's death

XuanZheng era, year 37. The cultivation world was shaken by the news of the death of LianFang-Zun, Jin Guangyao. His every sinister deeds were disclosed to world, together with the undercurrent of what happened in the past years and the loss of lives under his name.

Words of condemnation, whether just false rumors or truth, spread like wild fire. It was a scene that was so familiar, just like when the world rejoiced for the death of the Yiling Patriarch, Wei Wuxian. In fact, these two events were closely related, for the reason that Jin Guangyao himself could be held responsible for the fate of the Yiling Patriarch.

Funny how with the death of another villain, Wei Wuxian was proved to be wrongfully blamed for his crimes. He never lost control, was never the ungrateful wolf that bit his owner's hand.

Thirteen years ago, the world wronged him leading to his death. After thirteen years of being misunderstood, his name was cleared. But this could never bring him back. A life that was lost could never be brought back.

The Yiling patriarch was indeed unfortunate. However, his death was something that not many would regret. They pity him, but they still fear his power. They had wronged him, but many would never feel guilty for pushing him to his end.

The people who truly felt guilty for this person could only be counted in fingers. Sect Leader Jiang was one. After knowing that the golden core revolving inside him was Wei Wuxian's, how could he not? Second was Wei Wuxian's shizhi who he never met but grew up blaming him for the death of his parents. Some were like Lan Xichen, the few sect leaders who did nothing to stop the siege in the Burial Mounds even though they knew that there was something wrong about it.

But if there's someone who felt the loss deeper than anyone else and who was blaming himself for not being there when Wei Wuxian died, it would be the person who suddenly disappeared after the confrontation with Jin Guangyao in the Yunmeng Guanyin Temple, Hanguang-Jun.

Deep within the darkness of the Burial Mounds, the melody of guqin scattered to the wind like a silent cry, a lonely agony. The very same man who had been missing for months strummed the seven strings of his zither, tirelessly playing an excerpt to ask the spirits. His expression was as usually cold, but every note of his piece carried the melancholy and worries kept within his heart, wishing and pleading for that person to come back to his side.

Lan Wangji was here in Burial Mounds, in the very same cave where he last left Wei Ying. Years had passed, but he still couldn't forgive himself for what he did. He deeply regretted coming back to Gusu that time. He knew, he shouldn't have left Wei Ying just because Wei Ying asked him to get lost. Wei Ying would never leave him had they exchanged roles. Wei Ying would never leave anyone had he seen them being treated with injustice. Because that's the kind of person he was, a selfless soul.

When Lan Wangji heard of Wei Ying's death, it was as if his world had fallen. He knew what he felt for the man, but losing him had made him realize how deep his feelings was. His love for Wei Ying was as deep as the ocean, the ocean that became his endless abyss the moment Wei Ying died.

Lan Wangji couldn't pull himself from the void he had sunk into, like a quicksand drawing him deeper and deeper without a way out. He could never forget about the love that he never got to have. He could never forget about Wei Ying, his smile, his free spirit, his selflessness. For thirteen years he never did.