Chapter 38: No paper money for me?

⸞۞⸟

Chapter Thirty Eight

Years ago, former Sect Leader Nie encountered a mishap and was rescued by a kind-hearted wandering cultivator. Old Nie is a man who believes in karma. To repay the kindness of his savior, he promised to fulfill one favor for the man as long as it's within the moral standard. The wandering cultivator only have his granddaughter and great granddaughter as kin and only wished for the Nie Sect to take care of them. Hearing this, Old Nie immediately remembered his great grandsons. This wandering cultivator has a really kind soul and his family members couldn't be that bad either. Therefore, Old Nie decided to protect the man's great granddaughter by marrying her into the Nie Clan.

Initially, Eldest Young Master Nie was the chosen groom for this betrothal but he resolutely refused. Nie Mingjue didn't say it but everyone knew that he did it for Nie Huaisang. He was persistent into making Nie Huaisang lead the sect one day. Therefore, he couldn't marry or have a child to any woman to avoid the struggle of power in the future. And so, Nie Huaisang's marriage had been set in stone since he was at the age of five.

Nie Huaisang was made aware of this betrothal ever since he could remember and his feelings towards this future wife was very lukewarm. He knew that he should fulfill the promise of his great grandfather, but he was also not overly enthusiastic about it. He thought that maybe if he could meet her, his feelings and stand towards this marriage would somehow be clear. However, he was never given that chance.

One day, they were suddenly shocked by the news that she and her mother died. He remembered how angry his father back then and knew that their deaths were not that simple. However, no one explained it to him.

Later on, Nie Huaisang found out that her clan had met a downfall and knew that it was the work of his father. That was the last time that he heard a news from that small clan, not knowing the truth of what really happened to her and her mother.

Nie Huaisang was still young and it didn't affect him that deeply. Years passed, this incident that had been buried at the back of his mind soon faded with the passage of time... until he completely forgot about that one girl who would have been his wife.

But the twisted strings of fate were really hard to untangle. In the course of seeking revenge, Nie Huaisang met Sisi. Sisi is a woman with a dark past and just like him, her heart was also full of revenge. After she had learned about the dirty things that Jin Guangyao did for Jin Guangshan, Sisi willingly allowed Nie Huaisang to use her as a tool to expose Jin Guangyao.

Sisi was a key character in the destruction of the father and son. After returning, she was also one of the first few people that Nie Huaisang seek.

Nie Huaisang deliberately arranged an encounter with Sisi. Pretending to be the savior that saved the damsel in her distress moments. Only she didn't know that this young man who came when she most needed help will also be her doom. It was heartless, he was heartless... or so he thought.

Sisi, she was just a tool, a piece that should be disposed after being used... but she's more than that. Behind her fragile looking beauty is a fighter, a brave woman who would do anything to exact revenge against the man who destroyed her life.

Nie Huaisang thought that he is already heartless, but every moment that he spent with Sisi made him think otherwise. Because of her insistence, he decided to guide Xue Yang instead of killing him. Because of her, he started to understand Meng Yao. Nie Huaisang came from the world where he used many lives as his death bed and Sisi made him see his mistakes. But there's only one miscalculation that he could no longer correct... he could no longer save her.