Chapter 10: Suspicious Woman

۞

Chapter Ten

It was deep in the night when Wei Wuxian was awakened by a sudden surge of yin energy. It was of great abundance and was rapidly moving from the West. One need not to think deeply, it was directed towards the Cloud Recesses.

Opening his eyes, he couldn't help but praise himself for being so wise. A situation where they needed to sneak out indeed came.

Wei Wuxian grabbed his outer robes and hurriedly but carefully fastened the still sleeping Wei Yuan against his back with a sturdy fabric. He wouldn't dare to leave the child here, not when he himself had experienced being abandoned. He made sure that the evil repelling amulet he had forged specially for such occasion was safely tied on the child's sash before he swiftly grabbed the Chenqing and Old Black. Leaping onto the wall of the courtyard, Wei Wuxian jumped into the adjacent forest, and disappeared within the cover of the night.

"The smell of death is awfully strong," Elder Heiying spoke.

"Corpses?" Wei Wuxian surveyed from the distance. The West border of Gusu City was currently filled with resentful energy. There were also faint shadows rapidly advancing towards the East. They were indeed corpses. Wei Wuxian's eyes squinted. No, someone was definitely commanding these corpses. These were not merely corpses but puppets.

"It's the Yin Metal," Wei Wuxian spoke gravely. He couldn't be mistaken. There was no established dark path yet, no Yiling Patriarch to copy. It could only be the experimentation of making puppets which undoubtedly the effect of Yin Metal. If it's the Yin Metal, then it couldn't be anyone else but Wen Rouhan.

Why was Wen Rouhan making a move? Had his decision of changing the sequence of events finally caused an effect?

He was still trapped in the Burial Mounds when the original meeting between the sects was held, but Wei Wuxian was sure that nothing strange like this happened before. Wen Rouhan had described the uprising with two words: unpromising and overconfident. He never bothered himself with the Sunshot Campaign before Wen Xu was killed. But was it still the same? The branch families of his sect had rebelled. His youngest son and Wen Zhuliu even died. Of course, Wen Rouhan wouldn't just sit still!

No matter what, he had to first take care of the matter in hand. Wei Wuxian surveyed the surroundings but failed to sense the one in command. Wen Rouhan had mindlessly dispatched these puppets? Ha! He was probably not expecting that someone with the ability to control corpse puppets better than him existed and coincidentally, was here to interrupt his plan.

"Such low level puppets," Elder Heiying sneered after the two of them got the complete view of the legion of corpse puppets.

Wei Wuxian did not gave him a reply but internally agreed. This wasn't hard to deal with. Only those already under the control of the Stygian Tiger Amulet wouldn't listen to him. Stygian Tiger Amulet was made out of Yin Metal but the latter was still greatly inferior compared to its reformed version.

As for those controlled by the Yin Metal... Wei Wuxian's lips curved into a playful smile. Wen Rouhan only sent a hundred or so puppets. It was clear that he was only using this to warn the sects with the taste of his power.

Would Wei Wuxian let him accomplish his goal?

Raising the Chenqing against his lips, Wei Wuxian started to play a tune. His eyes flickered from grey to crimson as the piercing sound of flute circled through the air. The ominous wind blew, causing his robes to sway and rustle. He was akin to a death Goddess disturbing the silence of the night. If one would see him, they would surely think that a demoness had graced a visit to the mortal world.