Chapter 23: Privilege Bestowed Upon Zhengye Xiangu

⸞۞⸟

Chapter Twenty Three

“Thank you for your offer Maiden Jiang, but we will go ahead.” Lan Wangji who had always been polite chose to decline the invitation of Jiang Yanli and Wei Wuxian was very thankful for that.

“Of course they will want to be left alone,” Jiang Cheng mumbled, fully aware that they were cultivators with remarkable hearing.

Jiang Yanli warningly glanced at her brother as she smiled at the two, “Go ahead then. Second Young Master Lan, Guniang, farewell.”

Lan Wangji nodded, “Mnn.”

Lan Wangji turned around, wordlessly pulling Wei Wuxian towards the area assigned to the Lan cultivators. Two figures, both with eye catching white forehead ribbon and red hair tie walked away, leaving the pair of brother and sister in the entrance of Jiang Yanli’s tent.

Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng exchanged disbelieving looks as they watched the departing backs. Both of them felt that this interaction was oddly familiar. Once, there were also two youths in white and red ribbons. Their characters were so contrasting, but the lively one never get tired of pestering the serious youth.

Maybe, if he just continued to act that way, Lan Wangji would also treat him like this one day.

Suddenly, Jiang Yanli looked down, her eyes becoming watery. Jiang Cheng held her shoulders. He understood what she was feeling right now. Even he couldn’t believe that even a demonic cultivator will remind him of Wei Wuxian. Maybe, they just really missed that bright spirited boy.

Wei Wuxian, you better come back soon or I will skin you alive! Jiang Cheng angrily bit his lips.

Lan Wangji had led Wei Wuxian in a spacious and tidy tent. There was a neat bed and a table inside. Wei Wuxian released the breath that he was holding all this time and slumped on the bed. He was just forcing himself to remain calm earlier. Thanks to Lan Wangji’s support that he managed to hold on up until they entered this tent.

Wei Wuxian looked at Lan Wangji who was silently standing beside the bed and smiled, “Thank you for earlier.”

Lan Wangji met his eyes and suddenly suggested, “Let me play a piece for you.”

“Ah?” Wei Wuxian bewilderedly sat up and he finally noticed that there was a thin layer of resentful energy surrounding his body. He sighed and nodded, making Lan Wangji surprised.

“What are you waiting for ah Lan Zhan? What new piece did you compose for me? Was it cleansing or calming? Or was it both?”

Lan Wangji, “Both.”

Lan Wangji emotionlessly sat on the side of the bed and placed the black narrow guqin horizontally on his lap.

“Both? What a genius. Lan Zhan, no, Hanguang-Jun, is this a privilege only bestowed upon me?” Wei Wuxian grinned as he leaned against the headboard of the bed.

Lan Wangji glanced at him, “Mnn.”

Seeing that Lan Wangji did not react to his teasing, Wei Wuxian pouted and closed his eyes, “You’re no fun.”

If it was before, Lan Wangji would probably say that he has no shame. However, after his rebirth, Lan Wangji became less fun than before. In the past, he would become shy whenever he was teased, not to mention that he did it in a quiet an amusing way. But now, he always remains unmovable and even make Wei Wuxian end up shooting himself in the foot. He just couldn’t understand it!

Wei Wuxian was really puzzled but as the calming notes of zither started to flow in his ears, he unconsciously freed his mind from any thoughts.

What a privilege indeed! Why did he even refuse this treatment before?!

Spiritual energy started to gather inside the tent, creating a comforting and soothing atmosphere. It was very suitable for cultivation and meditation. Wei Wuxian changed into lotus sitting position and tried to circulate his Qi.

The sound of zither wavered unnoticeably. Wei Wuxian had no idea what chaos he had created inside Lan Wangji when he successfully gathered and absorbed the Qi surrounding him.

Wei Wuxian was unsure of how long he had meditated with the help of Lan Wangji’s calming and cleansing music but when he opened his eyes, it was already bright outside.

Wei Wuxian looked around and didn’t see Lan Wangji’s shadow. He looked down and saw a familiar Jiang Sect Clarity Bell.

“I have always wanted to return it back to its owner.”

Wei Wuxian looked up and saw Lan Wangji standing at the entrance of the tent with a tray of fragrant food in hand. He walked inside and gently placed the tray in the nearby table.

Wei Wuxian stood up, placing the Clarity Bell on Lan Wangji’s hand as he said, “Hanguang-Jun, you’re too polite. Didn’t I tell you to keep it for me?”

Lan Wangji stared at the Clarity Bell in his hand as Wei Wuxian excitedly sat at the table.

Wei Wuxian, “Let’s go for breakfast! Wow! Spicy food! Did Jiang Cheng brought along a cook for this base?”

Lan Wangji did not answer. He just sat in front of Wei Wuxian but also didn’t pick up his chopsticks. He just observed Wei Wuxian as the woman removed her veil and took her first bite.

“Eh?” Wei Wuxian knitted his brows.

Lan Wangji, “What is wrong?”

Wei Wuxian, “Jiang Cheng’s taste is too light for me. Did you specifically ask the cook to suit my taste?”

Lan Wangji, “…”

Wei Wuxian didn’t notice what was wrong and happily continued to dig in his food.

“Or did you cook it yourself,” Wei Wuxian mumbled off-handedly.

Lan Wangji, “Mnn.”

Wei Wuxian was aghast, his eyes and mouth forming three circles. Lan Zhan… Lan Zhan just admitted that he cooked this food for him, no?

“You were the one who made this?” Wei Wuxian disbelievingly asked even though he knew that Lan Wangji would never lie.

“Mn.”

“You washed and cut the vegetables? You poured the oil into the pan? You added the seasoning?”

“Mn.”

“You… you…”

Wei Wuxian was absolutely speechless. Maybe, he would be even more shocked when he learned the two big gossips quickly spreading like wildfire in the Chongyang base.

First, the lonely inquiry had finally changed into a beautiful piece.

Second, the clean and tidy Hanguang-Jun had gone to the camp’s crude kitchen and cook spicy dishes.

All this happened after Zhengye Xiangu appeared.

⸞۞⸟