Chapter 4: I to Him

۞
Chapter Four

Wei Wuxian thought about this through and through, racking his brain all day on ways to convince Wen Qing to join his camp. In the end, he just settled on deciding to take the easiest path, and that’s to tell her the truth about his time travel.

Actually, it was Elder Heiying’s idea that asking for help was the most normal thing a person who wanted to change the future should do and abandoning the role of a lone hero is a must. If it’s just him, he would probably just offer to protect the old Wen remnants and not include them in this looming war.

Well, it turned out that the old demon was an advisor before and just wanted to apply his work experience to Wei Wuxian’s affairs. In addition, the old fox -ah dog- has some really strong persuasion skills that got Wei Wuxian nodding after a long arduous discussion of pros and cons.

So now, sitting in front of Wen Qing in some randomly chosen chamber was Wei Wuxian who had a lot of explaining and persuasion to do but didn’t know where to start. And when he does, it was a complete failure.

“That’s impossible,” Wen Qing chuckled incredulously the moment the words, I came from the future came out from his mouth. Maybe she was thinking that the resentful energy had finally gotten inside his head, affecting his sanity.

Wei Wuxian quickly retorted, “Nothing is impossible, Wen Qing. Hadn’t they said so before that no one can survive the Burial Mounds, but am I not here?”

Wen Qing kept her silence, neither countering his statement nor showing her trust. Wei Wuxian understood that she was giving him a chance to explain.

“You know that it’s impossible for me to stay alive after being thrown in the Burial Mounds, let alone master the dark arts in just a day. Wen Qing, it’s because I’ve done this before. I came from the future, a future that had given me many regrets. Yes, it might be bizarre. I, myself also had no idea why the heaven is playing with me and threw me back in here, but this is the truth,” he slowly enunciated every words, as if this would help him to convince the doctor.

Wen Qing lowered her head. Her silence made Wei Wuxian think that she wasn’t yet convince with his few words, so he hurriedly tried to recall few personal things about Wen Qing that only those close to her would probably know. Ah, damn his poor memory!

Yet Wenqing, in a way that was foregoing with her previous careful front, suddenly asked, “How long?”

Wei Wuxian opened his mouth stupidly, “Ah, ah?”

“How long had it taken for you to leave the Burial Mounds before?” Wen Qing raised her head and stared at him with a hint of pity. Wait pity?

“Oh! Three months,” Wei Wuxian scratched the back of his head, not really expecting that kind of question. But wait, “So you believe me?”

“Perhaps,” Wen Qing smiled before she calmly added, “Why are you telling me this?”

“…the future is dark and bleak for you and your family,” Wei Wuxian said in a quiet voice.

Because the future would never be fair to those bearing the surname Wen was left unsaid.

Wen Qing gravely nodded in understanding, “Then, I guess Wen Rouhan died and the Wen Sect fell.”

“Yes,” Wei Wuxian nodded.

“Why do you care?” Wen Qing asked.

“I owe you and your brother a gratitude. You saved our lives. You gave Jiang Cheng a new hope,” Wei Wuxian answered honestly.