Chapter 5

Raja Bharmal's Camp

"Jodha, how could you stare at the young ruler all the time? He must have noticed that you only had eyes for him. How insolent of you. What if we now fall from grace because of your gazes?" Champavati confronted Jodha angrily.

"Maasa please, I just couldn't take my eyes off the person who committed such atrocities. Didn't you notice the walled-in heads and the headless corpse on the gallows? How can he?" asked Jodha

"Of course I saw that. But that's not why you can't stare at him all the time. What if others noticed that too? "

"I don't think anyone noticed it," she replied. "I had my veil".

Champavati was not entirely appeased.

"I want you to behave at the festivities tomorrow, Jodha! No staring! I don't want us to fall from grace. Amer is in a precarious position ".

"I know, maasa", she reassured the mother, "I will not do anything to endanger that."

Din Panah

"Ammijaan, who was this girl who was present at the Rajput Raja?" Ruqaya asked her mother-in-law Hamida.

"It is his daughter. Why do you ask? "Hamida was astonished.

"Because she was staring at Jalal the whole time," the girl pouted

"Oh no, you were definitely wrong," said Hamida soothingly. She knew Ruqaya's quick temper and didn't want to admit that she had seen the gazes too.

"No, I know what I saw. I go to Jalal now and ask him ". She rushed away. Hamida shook her head.

Jalals chambers

"Jalal, Jalal, where are you?" cried Ruqaya. Jalal was in his chamber with Abdul, rolling his eyes.

"Oh no Abdul, what does she want from me?" he said annoyed.

"Jalal, who was the girl that was with the Rajput Raja?"

"Which girl?" asked Jalal

"The one that was staring at you all along."

"She was staring at me? I didn't notice anything."

"How, you didn't notice anything? it was obvious that she was staring at you the whole time."

"I had to concentrate on the ambassadors, how should I pay attention for a girl? And if so, what do I care? Why do you care? "

"You are my future-husband, I must be interested in that," she replied arrogantly.

"Oh not again Ruqaya. Do me a favor and go to your chambers. I want to talk to Abdul."

"Never you have time for me" she pouted "let's play a game of chess tomorrow please."

"I have no time. The meetings of the delegates will continue tomorrow, so I have to be there. And now, leave please!"

Angry and thoughtful, Ruqaya went to her chambers. Something was different. She couldn't grab it. When she got to her chambers, she let her tears run free. Why was Jalal so dismissive to her? Why didn't he want to spend time with her? She was jealous of Abdul. He always wanted to ride with Abdul, talk with Abdul... Then he had to practice martial arts or receive some boring envoys. But today he was different. He was hiding something. Disappointed, she began to leaf through a book.

Next day

Jalal was up early the next day. After namaz and after a short breakfast he called for Abdul.

"Abdul, let's go for a ride!" he exclaimed with shining eyes.

"Shall we sneak away again? You know how angry Bairam Khan was yesterday."

"No, let's take a group of soldiers with us. Just a little ride."

"All right then."

After the horses were saddled, they set off with a few soldiers. Jalal took the way to Raja Bharmal's camp. Secretly he hoped to see the girl. As they rode past the camp, they met four horsemen who rode into the camp. One of them was dressed all in white and wore a turban that hid his face. Jalal paid them no attention, his eyes searched the girl. Of course he don't saw her. Disappointed, he rode on. Even when they passed the camp on the way back, she could not be seen.

Back at the fort, he fulfilled his obligations and took part in further briefings. The political situation was uncertain, his position had to be strengthened. In the evening Jalal prepared for celebrations. He was curious how the evening would go. The guests came and waited for the young ruler. The women sat behind a curtain, separated from the men. The amusements began. Musicians played and courtesans danced, food was served. Jalal got bored fastly. His eyes searched the girl. Unfortunately he couldn't see her behind the curtain. Champavati made sure that she stayed in the background. Just before he left the room, he caught a glimpse of her. Their eyes met briefly.

Precap
Do you want to challenge me?

Dear Readers, I hope you enjoy the story. If you find worth it, please let me know.