Chapter 58

Agra

Abdul started reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Khamma Ghani shahensah Jalal-ud-din Muhammad,

It is difficult to write these lines. They will burden trustworthy people close to you. We are aware of this, but for the sake of understanding and for our own protection, we want to describe our view of things. We never had evil intentions and, like you, we let ourselves be guided by the power of the rings. We trusted you and the invisible bond that connected us. There was an inner connection that gave us peace and tranquility. She drew us under her spell. The night in the garden ... it was as if a magic lay over us, blessed by the moon and the stars. It was magical and touched us. We dare to say that the sensations were mutual. So please, in the name of this night, I ask you to forgive us for the following words and think about them in peace.
Now let us tell you what happened in Agra. The mention of the names will hit you. We ask your forgiveness. The first incident happened on the day of sword training with our family members. We are very ashamed to write about it. You will surely remember the art of our nephew and his companion in archery. Surely you have found out the identity of the companion. The companion was indecently molested by your brother-in-law Sharif-ud-Din on his way back from the practice ground. He tried to force himself on. Our nephew saved the companion from worse by accidentally coming by. This was a great insult and a terrible experience for the companion. Moreover, we were called another conquest on your long list by your foster mother Maham Anga. She forbade us to meet you. Otherwise, she would report about our meetings with shameful words. We do not need to explain to you what that would have meant for us. We are sure that she is behind the disappearance of the dagger and our seal and the fake letter. We also believe that she has conspired with your brother-in-law to insult the Rajputs. Sharif-ud-Din may have to help her because he wanted revenge against Maan Singh. As Abdul Khan may have already told you, we left Agra due to your prime minister broke off the alliance with Amer because of doubts about our nephew's innocence. He suggested that we leave as soon as possible before your return. We believe he also is making common cause with Maham Anga, who wanted the Rajputs out of the way. When she insulted us, we had the impression that she is hostile to the all Hindus. Now you know the whole truth about what happened in Agra, from our side. Now you can make up your own mind. You are fortunate to have a friend like Abdul Khan and a subordinate like Fadhil Khan. They protect and watch over you. We are grateful to them for standing up for our innocence. Please convey our thanks to them and do not punish them for supported our innocence! May your way be blessed.

Pranaam Rajkumari Jodha Bai

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Abdul had finished, he lowered the letter. Jalal sat slumped on his stool. Each of Jodha's words was a sharp dagger stabbing at his core. He deeply regretted not having listened to Abdul, having let his anger carry him away, not having thought rationally. Not having trusted his feelings. What ... feelings? He quickly dismissed the thought. He struggled with the betrayal of his foster mother and his Prime Minister, the shameful behavior of his brother-in-law towards Jodha. And again his own behavior! How humiliated she must have felt! The magical bond, he had trampled it underfoot. A bond that had given him, and according to her lines also her, inner peace. He had not realized it in his anger! This night in the garden... Wistfully he remembered the magical atmosphere in the moonlight, the scent of the roses, her delicate skin... Again he became aware of the emptiness within him. What did this emptiness mean? Repentance burned like fire in him. At the same time, he was impressed by the Rajkumari's courage in openly telling him what had happened and confronting him with his behavior. Again he became aware that she was pleasantly different from the other women. The pain in his chest grew stronger and he unconsciously pressed a hand to his heart. Abdul sat quietly. He too was impressed by the Rajkumari's courage. Compassionately, he watched the struggle raging inside Jalal, the emotions flitting across his face. Remorse, anger, sadness, and finally pain! His jaw tightened as he clenched his teeth and tried to bring his feelings under control. His other hand clenched into a fist.