Chapter 71

„Jodha Begum!" A furious Ruqaya rushed into Jodha's chambers. Jodha was kneeling before Lord Krishna and had just finished her prayers. She stood up and came face to face with an enraged Ruqaya.

"Shubh prabhat, Ruqaya begum. Why are you so upset? Has something happened?" asked Jodha in amazement. She had been oblivious to all the excitement of the previous night.

"You dare to ask that? After you have a maid on your conscience?"

"Kya? What are you talking about?"

"Last night a maid was found dead. She was poisoned. With sweets distributed by your maid Moti Bai!" Jodha looked at her in horror.

"Don't pretend you don't know anything! Is it not enough for you to continue practising your religion? What are you trying to achieve?" Ruqaya had grabbed her by the shoulders and was shaking her.

"Ruqaya Begum! Moderate yourselves!" said Jodha sharply. She broke free. "Ruqaya Begum, we don't know about all this. We are sure it can be cleared up quickly. Anju, go get Moti Bai!" The frightened girl looked from Jodha to Ruqaya and quickly ran away.

"Your accusations are outrageous, Ruqaya Begum! Let us hear what Moti Bai has to say about it!"

"Jodha, what happened?" Breathless, Moti came back to Jodha's chambers with Anju.

"Moti, what did you do with the prasad we prepared yesterday?"

"I distributed it to the daasi! Why?"

"Did you notice anything tampering with it?"

"No. I was here all the time."

"Ha, that's proof that the poison was mixed in here!" Ruqaya exclaimed triumphantly.

"Be careful of making hasty judgments Ruqaya Begum! Then why was only one maiden poisoned, Ruqaya Begum? Since Moti Bai distributed the prasad to several maids, shouldn't they all have been poisoned?"

"The daasi involved was Muslim. This was deliberately planned!" Ruqaya smiled wickedly.

Jodha froze. No sooner was she in Agra than the trouble began! "Kanha, help me!" she thought, shaken.

"Ruqaya Begum, ...!"

"Bas Jodha Begum!" Maham Anga cut her off. She too had come into Jodha's chambers after Resham had reported to her that an enraged Ruqaya had stormed into Jodha's chambers.

"Don't try to talk your way out of it! You want Muslim daasi out of the way! You cannot bear to have them in your service! We don't know how you got Jalal to continue practising your religion and put up this murti in your chambers, but you won't get away with it! You have incurred the displeasure of the Ulema. Jalal will have to deal with it. It will not be tolerated in Agra." She cast a disgusted gaze at Jodha.

Jodha looked at her stunned.

"Maham Anga...!"

"Bas! You will be held accountable for what you have done. Is that why you consented to the marriage? Who has commissioned you? The whole filthy Rajput clan?"

"Maham Anga! These are outrageous accusations you are making here!" said Jodha coldly. For a brief moment, she saw hatred flash in Maham Anga's eyes. "You dare to accuse the Rajputs? You are accusing a Begum of Shahenshah Jalal-ud-din Muhammad of murder? Do you know what you are saying?"

"We know very well what we are saying Jodha Begum! His begum?" she exclaimed with a sneer. "You are just another political alliance to consolidate his power in Rajputana! Why do you think he married you? You are just another pretty face, a toy in his harem! As soon as he gets tired of you, he will drop you! Mark our words! Don't be under any illusions! You, Moti Bai and this maid" she gave Anju a disgusted look "will not leave these chambers! You will get your just punishment!" She turned and left.