Chapter 64

Ajmer

A horse approached the hut in front of which Jalal and Abdul were sitting at full gallop. Both jumped up.

"Jalal, that seems to be one of Sharif ud-Din's soldiers!"

The soldier jumped off his horse and bowed hurriedly. "Huzoor! I bring news from Sharif ud-Din!"

"What do you have to tell us, sipahee?"

"Huzoor, Sharif ud-Din's men have blown up one of the towers of the fort with gunpowder and have been able to make a breach in the wall. The enemy is resisting fiercely. But Sharif ud-Din is confident of taking the fort in no time! Mubarak ho, Jahanpanah!"

"Well, that's good news! Ride to our camp outside the city and get something to eat and take some rest before riding back! Good work, sipahee!"

"So he has fulfilled my task., Abdul! What will I do with him when he returns?" he asked grimly. "He deserves death for his treachery. But this will break Bakshi's heart!"

"You will make the right decision!" retorted Abdul. Jalal sighed and ran his hand over his face.

"Certainly, Abdul! Let's go to the Sheikh and say goodbye. We'll ride to Amer in the morning!"

"Won't you let know it Her Highness Mariam Makani?"

"I will send her a message! They are to stay in Ajmer for the time being."

_____________________________________________________________

Frozen, she hurried back to her tent. There she dropped onto a few pillows and and took a hectic puff from the hookah that was ready. She inhaled the spicy smoke deeply and thought about the conversation she had overheard! What had she just heard? Jalal has found his heart? How ridiculous! He had feelings for the Rajput princess? Never! Jalal's heart was as hard as stone! Her mind would not believe it! And this story about the rings! Pfff! She laughed mockingly and shook her head! What a nonsense! How could he believe in such nonsense! And that's why he wanted to leave for Amer head over heels? To look for the Rajput girl? He, the emperor himself? She could not believe it! Indignant, she jumped up and started pacing back and forth indignantly. That Rajput princess! What did everyone see in her? What did she have that attracted everyone? Even Hamida Bano had been taken with her. Pff! A Hindu! She was nothing but another pretty face among many others! "Ruqaya, don't worry about it!" she spoke to herself. „He is once again getting excited about a pretty face! It is always like that! Nothing more!" she said smugly to herself. And yet.... Deep inside her, a thought ate its way further and further into her consciousness like a poisonous snake! What if it was different this time? What if there really were feelings involved? So far, he had always tired of his women quickly. None had been able to captivate him for longer. She couldn't imagine losing his attention. "I am the only constant in his life! Ham, Ruqaya Sultan! And that's how it's going to stay!" What none in his harem had managed so far, this Rajput princess would not manage either! Relaxing, she dropped back on the cushions and took another deep, soothing draught from the hookah! But a faint whiff of doubt had stubbornly settled in and could not be dispelled.

_____________________________________________________________

"Well, do you want to leave, Jahanpanah? Have you experienced comfort and enlightenment at the shrine of Khwaja? Have you found what you were looking for? Has it shown you the right path?" he looked at Jalal with a smile.

"Ji, Sheikh! You have put us on the right path! The path of the heart!" he added quietly, smiling sheepishly.

"No Jahanpanah. You have already carried the path within you. Sometimes it only takes a little thing to realise this!" he smiled benevolent at Jalal. "We are thankful, for all you have done for the people here, Jahanpanah. They will include you in their prayers!" He placed his hand on his head in blessing. "May the Almighty protect you on your way and may he let the searching souls find each other! Ameen!"