Chapter 59

Agra

"Do you have the message?"

"Gustakhi maaf, huzoor. I have searched and searched, but I have not found the dove!"

"Fool!" a hand lashed out and slapped the soldier. His head flew to the side. Blood ran from the corner of his mouth. Another slap hit him, his head flew to the other side and he fell to his knees.

"Huzoor, Maaf kijiye huzoor!" the soldier begged.

"Get out of my sight before I forget myself! Get out!" The soldier scrambled to his feet and ran away.

Enraged, Maham Anga paced up and down the room. A servant devoted to her in Jalal's service had told her that Jalal had dictated a message to Abdul. The fool of a soldier was incapable of doing the simplest things! Now she would not know for whom the message was intended and what the message said! She suspected that the message was meant for the Rajput Rajkumari. Her face contorted into a grimace. Rajputs, Hindus... What did he see in these people? Disgust painted itself on her features. What had he written to her, what did he know? Had she told him about the conversation in the garden? A dull sense of apprehension spread inside her. He had dropped Munim Khan off! Something had to have come to his ears. What and how much did he know? She had to be careful. Had to act skillfully. She thought angrily of Jalal's having ordered Adham back from his post in Malwa. How proud she had been of her son! Had hoped his anger at Jalal would subside because of his post in Malwa. Why does he defy Jalal's orders again and again... He would soon arrive in Agra. His anger would be boundless. She had to stop him from doing more stupid things and keep him away from Jalal. She sighed. She desperately needed to talk to Jalal and distract him.

_____________________________________________________________

"Salam Aleikum Jalal, my son!" Maham Anga entered Jalal's chambers. Jalal felt disturbed and anger welled up in him at her address. She had startled him out of his deep thoughts. He thought about a hunt to get other thoughts. Unfortunately the guards had the order to always let her through. He had missed changing the orders. He would make up that as soon as possible!

"Wa aleikum assalam badi ammi." He hid his anger and with an expressionless face he faced her. "What brings you to me?"

"I want to express my appreciation to your action, Munim Khan to dismiss and...!"

Jalal raised his hand to silence her.

"Badi ammi, we don't want to talk about it!" he said coldly. Maham Anga gave him a fake smile and hid her anger.

"Soon Adham will be back. What do you....

"We don't want to talk about that either!" he said sharply. "Adham has completely lost control of himself in Malwa! He has repeatedly disobeyed my orders and you know it too. If you have come to convince me to give him back command of Malwa, I must disappoint you! That will not happen!"

"You have done right in withdrawing his command and ordering him back! It was unforgivable what he did!" she said contritely. Uhh, this was harder than she had thought! Where had the easily-directed young man gone? Fear slowly spread through her. What did he know? Uneasily she stepped from one foot to the other. Jalal made no effort to talk to her. Her fear grew stronger.

"Jalal ..."

"Badi ammi, I am tired. You may leave! Khuda hafiz!" he got up, walked to the window and stared out. Maham Anga stood rooted to the spot, staring at his back. He had dumped her stone cold!

"Khuda hafiz, Jalal." Slowly she turned and left. He had dispatched her like a common servant! The fear she had felt a moment ago turned to annoyance! How could he... what was he planning? Uncertainty ate into her guts.