Chapter 74

An arrow pierced Jalal's chest near his heart! He was thrown from the saddle by the impact and fell from the horse.

Shahenshah!" yelled Atgah Khan in horror.

____________________________________________________________

Jodha tried to sit up. She felt a burning pain in her chest and struggled for breath. Her limbs became heavy. She let out a sob.

"Shahenshah! What's wrong with you?" she muttered chokingly. She was paralyzed. Her arms no longer seemed to obey her.

____________________________________________________________

Hit! Mission accomplished! His client would be proud of him! Already thinking of his reward, he hurriedly left the roof from which he had shot.

"Stop him, there's the villian who shot at the emperor!" shouted a merchant, pointing at a man with a bow who was hurriedly running away. Abdul reacted immediately!

"Sipahee! Pursue the bas**rd! Don't let him escape!" he roared.

The archer looked around briefly before flinging the bow away and continuing to run. The soldiers were right on his heels! A pursuer grabbed him by the arm and yanked him back hard. For a moment he raised his eyes to the sky and before they could take him into custody, he grabbed to his neck. His fingers found the bead hanging from a leather strap, tore it off and put it in his mouth. Not a second too soon! The soldiers grabbed him and twisted his arms behind his back. Foam formed in front of his mouth and his body went limp!

The rest of Jalal's soldiers and companions had formed a ring around him. Jalal was sitting on the ground. Atgah Khan and Abdul had jumped off the horse and were kneeling beside him.

"Shahenshah!" Atgah Khan shouted anxiously.

"Abdul!" said Jalal in a firm low voice. "Pull out the arrow!"

"What...?"

"Do as I say!" he commanded. Abdul looked at him in horror.

"Abdul!" Jalal urged.

Abdul hesitated, but then grabbed Jalal's shoulder with one and the arrow with his other hand. He looked again at Jalal, who nodded. Abdul closed his eyes. With a tug, he pulled on the arrow, trying to pull it out as straight as possible. Blood splattered and Jalal winced. His jaw clenched. No scream crossed his lips. With an effort, he raised his arm and pressed his hand to the wound.

"Now help me on the horse!" With Abdul's and Atgah Khan's help, Jalal pulled himself onto the horse. Warm, he felt the blood seeping from the wound. Immediately, he pressed his hand back on the wound.

"We ride to the fort!" Abdul nodded and signaled to Atgah Khan.

"You!" called Abdul to a soldier "Ride ahead quickly. Send word to the fort and have them call the hakim. Tell him to bring a stretcher!"

The group with Jalal in the middle rode the short distance to the fort. Hand pressed tightly to his chest, Jalal held himself upright with difficulty. The red wet spot on his jama spread.

____________________________________________________________

Jodha's chamber

"Jodha!" shouted Moti, startled. "What is the matter with you?" She had rushed into her chamber after Jodha's cry and saw her slumped before Lord Krishna's murti.

"Shahenshah! The ring..." she brought out chokingly. "Help me! I can't get up!" Moti looked at her from wide eyes and then helped her up. Suddenly Jodha screamed and moaned.

"Jodha!" Moti led her to her bed.

"Moti, it hurts so much!" Tears ran down her cheeks and she pressed her hands to her chest.