Chapter 76

"Fadhil! Finally! You have been making yourself scarce these past few days. Where have you been?" asked Moti angrily.

"Jahanpanah had some tasks for me." He pulled her towards him. Moti pushed him away.

"And you expect me to believe that?" She pouted.

"Can these eyes lie, my beautiful flower?" He clutched at his heart and looked at her from wide eyes.

"Pagal!" Moti playfully slapped his chest. Fadhil pulled her close again and kissed her.

"Can you get free tonight?" he whispered in her ear. "I crave for my little wildcat!"

"I'll see what I can do. I have tasks too." she replied with a snippy gaze. "But now listen! I found out something!"

She told him about the conversation with Bindu.

"I'm sure she was hiding something from me! She was very tense when I approached her about the prasad! What should we do now?"

"I think Abdul Khan and I will question her. I suspect she is being pressured. Perhaps we can convince her that it is for her own good to tell what she knows!"

"Oh Fadhil, when will this all come to an end? The past has caught up with my lady. She has been through so much already!"

"Ji. It is giving us all a headache. But we need proof!"

"I know! But it hurts that she has to endure this." Moti sighed. "Fortunately, His Majesty has recovered."

"You're right! That was a shock! To think what would have happened if the conspirators had succeeded! With the grace of the Almighty, he recovered, the rebellion was put down and we know who was behind it! However, unfortunately, we have no proof here either! But don't worry your pretty little head, my beautiful flower! We will convict the culprits!" He pulled her to him again.

"I'm afraid I have to go on to Abdul Khan now! But I'll be waiting for you, my little wildcat!" He winked at her. Moti rolled her eyes.

"Dream on!" She broke away and laughed. He threw her a flying kiss.

___________________________________________________________

Uncertainty

Bakshi felt restless. She paced back and forth in her chamber. Finally, she stopped at the window and gazed blankly outside. Thoughts swirled back and forth in her mind.

"After what Atgah Khan said of Sh..."

Abdul's words kept running through her mind. Had he meant Sharif ud-Din when Jalal had interrupted him?

"Mohtarma, what about you? Are you all right?"

"What?" she wheeled around, startled. "Oh, Negin, it's you."

"Can I get you something? Sharbat? Some sweets? I'm sure they will lighten your mood!" Negin looked at her anxiously

"Sweets?" Bakshi laughed bitterly. "These will hardly lighten my mood!"

"But Mohtarma..."

"Leave us alone, Negin. We need to think."

"Jo hukum, Mohtarma!"

She desperately needed to find out if Abdul had meant her loathsome husband. Was he in cahoots with the conspirators who had carried out the assassinations on Jalal? Her mind continued to race. Should she talk to Jodha about this? Whether Jalal had spoken to her? Maybe she knew something about it. But it seemed that the relationship between Jalal and Jodha had soured considerably. No, she did not want to burden her with her worries. Jalal? He wouldn't tell her anything. She had to talk to Abdul! They had known each other since early childhood and he and Jalal had always protected her. Determined, she went to her secretary and reached for paper and quill. She wrote hurriedly. Then she clapped her hands.