Chapter 26

On the hunt

On the way, another troops of Turks and Tadjiks joined the army, attracted by the young ruler. Also they do homage and seeking the benevolence of the ruler. Jalal also endured the homages and flatteries and longed to jump on his horse to escape courtly etiquette and bootlicker. After another group of emissaries had withdrawn with deep bows, he leaned over to Bairam Khan.

"Khan Baba, we're going to have a hunt tomorrow. I'm tired of receiving these emissaries."
His tone was sharp. He grimaced in disgust. It wasn't a polite request, it was an order! Bairam Khan couldn't do anything about it.

"So be it Jahanpanah!" He agreed. He knew he couldn't stop Jalal. The lad vibrated with suppressed energy.

The next morning the preparations for the hunt were made. There was a small forest near the camp. Qarāwals surrounded the hunting ground in the forest. Nobles and courtiers waited at the edge of the forest for Jalal to arrive. An officer, some oft his 'khidmatiyya', his palace guard, and some servants of the ruler guarded and observed the place. the servants were required to render services at the chase. Jalal joined the waiting courtiers with Abdul and Bairam Khan. Otherwise he chose a couple of companions to accompany him. But this time he decided to just go out with Abdul. The dog handlers waited with their dogs to track down game. The dogs tugged excitedly at their leashes and howled and barked from excitement. They couldn't wait to storm off. The master of hunting released the hunt and the dogs were let off the leashes and stormed off, followed by their leaders. A short time later, Jalal, Bairam Khan and Abdul rode behind. The dogs barked when they startled prey. The forest was fulfilled with barking and the sound of twigs and branches breaking. Deers ran fearfully for their lives and were mercilessly rounded up by the dogs.

Jalal had hidden behind a small bush and was waiting to fire the first shot from his musket. Abdul had positioned himself across from him, also with the musket in position. Bairam Khan stayed in the background. Nobody noticed the hooded figure, who was hiding in a tree some distance away and watching the scene attentively. The first deers jumped up and Jalal took aim and pulled the trigger. A moment later, Abdul pulled the trigger. Two deers collapsed hit. Immediately dogs jumped up and grabbed the struck Deers by the throats. With angry growls, they dragged the prey to their leaders and waited for their reward. Jalal had shot and hit a few more times in the meantime. Then everything happened very quickly. A whirring noise was heard and Jalal let out a scream. Abdul and Bairam Khan looked in his direction, alarmed. Abdul could see nothing of his position and rode quickly to him. Bairam Khan saw an arrow stuck in Jalal's left shoulder and went pale. He looked around seekingly. Nothing could be seen. All noises were drowned out by the loud barking of the dogs, orders from their handlers, and the game breaking through the undergrowth.

"Abdul, take care of Jalal and end the hunt. I pursue the shooter!" yelled Bairam Khan and spurred his horse. He rode as fast as the terrain would allow in the direction in which he suspected the shooter.

"Catch the dogs!" shouted Abdul. "The hunt is over. Take the prey and ride out of the forest."
The drivers noticed that something had happened and called and whistled for the dogs. In the meantime, Abdul had reached Jalal, who was sitting on his horse, his face contorted with pain. The drovers brought the dogs to reason and retreated from the grove with the prey.

"Jalal, what happened?" He asked fearfully.

"I was hit in the shoulder by an arrow," he said angrily, turning slightly in the saddle so that Abdul could see it.

"Let's ride out of the forest. I'll have a Hakim called right away."

"Hey you!" he called a drover. "Quick, run out of the forest and let the Hakim call. His Majesty is hurt. Hurry up!"