Chapter 63

Ajmer

"Jahanpanah, Maham Anga and the harem are approaching the camp. They will arrive here soon!" a guard announced.

"Make sure the tents have been set up properly and everything necessary is available for the ladies. Make them as comfortable as possible. Make sure that refreshments are ready! Send a messenger to Ajmer Fort. Bakshi Banu should join the royal camp. Inform Her Highness Mariam Makani when she has arrived that we will visit her."

"Jo Hukum Jahanpanah!"

After the ladies had arrived and settled into their tents, Jalal went to see his mother. Hamida Banu was engrossed in conversation with Ruqaya.

"Salam Aleikum ammijaam, Ruqaya Begum! Did you have a pleasant journey? Is everything to your satisfaction?"

"Wa aleikum assalam, beta!" "Wa aleikum assalam, Jalal!"

"The journey was pleasant. We had all the amenities. Maham Anga carried out everything as per your instructions, beta." Jalal nodded.

"We sent a messenger to Bakshi Banu, ammijaan. Sharif ud-Din has brought her to Ajmer after her departure from Agra. She will soon arrive here to go with us to the dargah of Khwaja M'uinu-d-din."

"Bakshi is here? What a pleasant surprise! Is she well?" asked Ruqaya.

"She is doing well. She paid us a visit yesterday."

"Jalal, what are these rumours that Sharif ud-Din attacked Amer without your orders? Is the royal family well? I would be very saddened if anything had happened to Rani Champavati and her ladies." Hamida Banu was concerned.

"Well, your son-in-law actually attacked Amer!" said Jalal angrily. "He had no orders from me whatsoever! I don't think I need to explain what that means, ammijaan!"

"This is treason, Jalal! What have you done with him?" Ruqaya shouted.

"He was sent to Merta to keep order there. His every move is being watched. We are not yet sure what we will do with him. Bakshi...!" he broke off and raised his shoulders.

"Does she know about it?"

"Ji! She was very composed. But you know how much she loves him. We are in a quandary."

"What about the royal family of Amer?" asked Hamida Banu.

"Abdul oversaw the withdrawal of Sharif's troops. They were able to return to the fort, but ..." he left the sentence unfinished.

"Why don't you continue speaking?"

"Umm, since the attack, the Raja's eldest daughter has been missing!"

"Are you talking about Rajkumari Jodha Bai? She is such a lovely young lady! How could this have happened? Ya Allah!" Hamida Banu slapped a hand over her mouth in horror. "Is she... is she...?"

"Oh this Rajput princess... What is it about her that everyone is so taken with her?" thought Ruqaya annoyed. "Everyone in Agra has been raving about her. A pretty face! Nothing special beyond that." disparagingly, she pursed her lips.

"One doesn't know. We have sent a search party under Fadhil Khan to Amer. So far it has not been found!" he said tonelessly, looking down at the ground. Hamida Banu looked at her son scrutinisingly. He was hiding something from her!

"Jalal ...?" She looked at her son questioningly. Ruqaya looked irritatedly from Hamida Banu to Jalal.

"We will walk to the dargah in Ajmer tomorrow morning after sunrise, ammijaan. Prepare the alms for the poor and needy."