Chapter 24

Delhi December 1556

Jalal paced hence and forth in his chamber. The next morning the march to the Punjab began and Fadhil was not back yet.

"Guard!" he shouted.

"Ji huzoor."

"I have an assignment for you. As you know, your comrade did an assignment for me. He hasn't come back yet. If he doesn't come back today you will tell him that he should definitely follow me to the Punjab and report to me personally! It is important!"He said urgently. "Like him, you will keep absolute silence about it!" Jalal inculcated him. "Not a word to anyone!" A few gold coins changed hands.

"It will be done as you command, Jahanpanah!" The guard bowed eagerly. With a wave of his hand Jalal dismissed him.

Satisfied, he sat down on his bed and leaned relaxed against the headboard. He thought of the experience with the ring when he rode back to camp on Hawai. Could it really be possible that a connection could be made over the ring? He smiled. If only Fadhil would come back before the departure to the Punjab!

At that moment he heard voices and footsteps at the entrance to his chambers. He jumped up excited to check. Fadhil entered with quick steps!

"Jahanpanah!" He said breathlessly and bowed. He came straight away to Jalal. He wanted to report to his master immediately.

"Fadhil!" Pleased, Jalal grabbed his shoulders and looked at him expectantly.

"What did you bring?"

Jalal looked intently at the box that Fadhil was holding in his hands. It was the same one he had given to him. Did she have had refuse his message? His brow furrowed in concern.

"Ji huzoor. I came to you immediately!"

He handed the box to Jalal. He carefully placed it on a small table and tossed a pouch to Fadhil.

"Here! You deserve it!"

The soldier skillfully caught the pouch.

"Shukria huzoor!" He bowed.

"Is everything went well? Have you been recognized as a Mughal?"

"No, huzoor. Everything went according to plan. To get into the palace, I pretended to be a goldsmith who made jewelry for the Rajkumari and which I was only allowed to give to her maid. The palace guards were very suspicious of anyone who wanted to enter the palace. I was able to hand the box over to the maid. A harsh personality!" He exclaimed. Startled, he took a step back and looked at the floor. Allah, what had he done! Who knew what his master had to do with the maid?

Jalal suppressed a grin. A smart fellow, he thought to himself.

"She was probably just being careful." Now he was grinning. Fadhil visibly relaxed.

"Be without fear! You have carried out your assignment to my complete satisfaction. Listen! I have another assignment for you!"

Fadhil looked astonished at his young master. His surprise grew with every word Jalal said to him! At the end, Jalal gave him a small seal with an engraved lion on it.

"With this seal you will be admitted to me at any time! Go now and recover from your exhausting ride!"

Fadhil bowed and left.

As soon as the soldier vanished, Jalal opened the box. Joy spread on his face when he saw the cage with the pigeons! That made things a lot easier! He had to speak to Fadhil again.

He lifted the cage out of the box and his eyes caught sight of the scroll. He grabbed it quickly. He looked at the seal curiously. The blossom of a desert rose was impressed into the sealing wax. Registaan ka gulaab! He remembered her face when her turban had come off as they competed the race. That suited her! As delicate as a rose, it occurred to him! His cheeks flushed. Carefully he broke the seal and unrolled the scroll. It only contained two lines. Again a smile spread across his face. He was sure that she had solved his riddle! Now all he needed was Abdul!