Chapter 46

Chapter 46

The fort continued to fill up with wedding guests. The preparations were in full swing. The premises were festively spruced up and the repair work on the outer wall progressed. In the harem the women passed the time chatting, playing chausar and chess while listening to the melodious sounds of veena and tabla. Chilled Sharbat and various of sweets were served. Hamida Banu was chatting animatedly with Champavati. During her escape with Humayun shortly before Jalal's birth, she had found refuge at the court of Raja Rana Prasad in Umarkot, where she had taken a liking to the Rajputs and their hospitality. Padmavati eagerly took part in the conversation and tried to put herself in the right light through her statements. She kept mentioning how well-bred and educated her daughters were. Champavati raised piqued an eyebrow and gave her sharp looks. Jodha sat beside it, bored. She knew Padmavati's monologues and paid no attention to them.

"Isn't it, Jodha?" Her mother's voice suddenly startled her from her thoughts.

"Kshama chahte hai Masa. I was in thought. What did you say?"

"I have just told Her Majesty that you and our vaidya take care of people's illnesses and that you always have open eyes and ears for their worries and needs."

"Ji, Mariam Makani." Embarrassed, she lowered her eyes briefly. "The well-being of the people is very important to me. I love my country! I want the land and the humans to be fine. They are always loyal to us and I want to give something back to them. Whoever sees the worries and needs of the subjects and helps to create better conditions for them wins the hearts of the people. A ruler who rules with an iron hand, but is blind to his subjects, cannot count on their loyalty either. They cheer him out of fear, but not from the heart!" She looked at Hamida Banu with shining eyes. Padmavati looked at her in horror while Champavati's eyes rested proudly on her daughter.

"Jodha, how can you say something like that?" exclaimed Padmavati.

"Rani Padmavati, from Rajkumari Jodha's words the love for her country speaks! What's wrong with it? We think it's wonderful that she cares about the well-being of her subjects. That is an admirable quality. You can be proud of the Rajkumari!" Hamida Banu looked benevolently at Jodha. Padmavati's face twisted into a grimace. "Jodha Bai, your subjects will thank you!" Hamida said with a warm smile.

"Dhanyavaad Mariam Makani!" she said, embarrassed.

Ruqaya listened to the conversation, also bored. What did she care what the Rajput princess was up to! It was unthinkable that a Mughal queen would mingle with the people and cure their illnesses. Huh, what thought! That's what the Hakims were for. She wrinkled her nose. The conversation turned to other topics and Jodha's mind wandered again. She knew that a archery was being held for the men. Her brothers had taken Maan Singh with them. She would much rather be there now than listen to the boring conversations. She sighed and leaned towards Moti.

"Moti, let's go. I have a headache!" she whispered.

Moti looked at her in disbelief. "You can't just go now!"

"Why not? I don't like the arrogant gazes Ruqaya Begum gives me. First consort of the emperor or not, but she don't behave so condescendingly towards guests! And the conversations bore me! Bakshi is not here, then it would be more fun."

"Kshama chahte hai , Mariam Makani, Masa, please allow me to withdraw myself. I have a headache!"

"Just go, Rajkumari Jodha, get some rest. If you need something, don't be hesitated to ask the maids about it!"

"Pranaam!" Jodha greeted with folded hands and left the room with Moti.

"Moti, find me one of the simple cotton Jamas!"