Chapter 12

The two talked about archery and pigeons. Jalal felt strangely connected to Jodha. As if they'd known each other forever. The more they talked, the more attracted he was to her. Again and again Jalal looked fascinated in her eyes. He asked her about her life in Amer, told her that he was born in Umarkot and of his constant wandering around. He told her he was disgusted by the walled-in heads, but he understood his mentor. Jodha asked him about his father. She had heard that he had died and that was why Jalal had been crowned ruler so young. Jalal's look turned sad. He hesitated to tell her about his father's unfortunate accident on the stairs when he was about to rush from the library to prayer. He would have loved to spend more time with his father. He missed him very much. He also spoke of the burden on his shoulders that he had to bear as ruler, even if his mentor Bairam Khan directed the fate of the empire as regent. Jodha told of her brothers how they rode out, were trained together in archery and sword fighting. "You can handle the sword too?" Jalal asked incredulously.

"Yes, our cousin Sujamal taught me since I was a little. Every Rajput woman is instructed in martial arts in order to be able to support the men in an emergency. "Jalal looked at her in disbelief.

"What are you looking at in such disbelief? Don't the women around you do that?" she asked, amused. She didn't know it other.

"Well, they can learn to shoot with a bow if they want. Otherwise they are in the harem."

"And what are they doing there?" Jodha asked curiously. She heard about, but not much.

"Well, they play games, talk, make music together, read."

"How boring" exclaimed Jodha. "And your mother?" Jodha had seen his mother at the jashn in the fort. A proud woman with charisma.

Jala's face closed. "She left me as a baby and followed my father into exile. I was accompanied by my foster mother Maham Anga. It wasn't easy for me. The wandering around, the circumstances" he spoke haltingly and fell silent, choked. Tears filled his eyes. He quickly wiped his face. He said nothing more. Jodha was silent and thought of her carefree childhood with her parents and siblings. This boy had seen a lot already in his young life. She smiled at him and offered him a couple of ladoos. She had put them in her pocket before leaving.

"Prasad. They are very tasty. My mother made them for the puja."

Jalal took one and bit into it. His sad look brightened and delight spread on his face.

"Mhhhhh, they are delicious".

"Take them" replied Jodha and was pleased that he liked the ladoos and his mood was better again. They smiled at each other. Out of the corner of his eyes he always had the hunting party in view so that he could react immediately and ride back to them.

The two didn't notice that they weren't alone. In a short distance, well hidden in the thicket of the forest, a piercing look lurked. The distance was too great to overhear the conversation. But it was impossible to get closer without being discovered. So the observer waited in his hiding place and continued to watch. He wondered who the masked figure was.

"I have to ride back now" said Jodha regretfully, "and I think you should go back to the party."

"You are right" Jalal replied. "When are you leaving back to Amer?" He asked curiously

"Tomorrow. My father wanted to let you know about it today."

"Tomorrow already" thought Jalal disappointed and got up.

"Well, then, Khuda hafiz Rajkumari, may god let cross our paths again. I enjoyed talking to you."

Jodha folded her hands in a farewell greeting and nodded to him.

"Same here" she said „may god bless you."

He picked up his falcon again back on his gloved hand and mounted his horse. He looked around carefully and rode out of the forest unnoticed. After Jalal arrived at the hunting party, Jodha also got up and set off. She rode a little through the forest until the hunting party was far enough away and then rode out back to the camp. After both of them had left the forest, the secret observer also left his post and returned to the hunting party. No one in the Rajput camp had noticed Jodha's absence and she snuck back into her tent unseen. She changed her clothes and called for Moti.

After Jalal had unobtrusively rejoined the hunting party again, he looked for Abdul. He spoke to him briefly and sent him back to the fort.

It was time for Raja Bharmal to say goodbye. After all the hunters had gathered and the rich prey had been admired, he rode to the young ruler and Bairam Khan.

"Shahenshah, we say goodbye. We thank you for your hospitality. We're leaving tomorrow. We have to go back. As you know, Amer's position is uncertain. We can't stay away that long."

"We regret your departure. Mughal Sultanat is well-disposed to you" said Jalal.

Bairam Khan sat on his horse and grimaced. He didn't like Jalal's statement at all. For him, the matter of assistance was done. He wanted more, he had other plans. But he kept a neutral face and said goodbye to Raja Bharmal.

"Khuda Hafiz Raja Bharmal, may your path be safe".

The Raja and his sons made their way to their camp. The rest of the hunting party gathered. The ladies mounted their palanquins and all of them made their way back to the fort.

Back to the fort, Jalal called for Abdul.

"Abdul, have you arranged everything?"

"Everything is done, Jalal!"

To be continued...