Chapter 67

Chapter 24

Their faces slowly came closer to each other. Jodha held her breath. It was a magical moment. The air seemed to vibrate. Softly, Jalal's forehead touched hers. Her odhni slipped gently from her head and fluttered to the floor.

"Jodha... finally we found you!" he whispered.

Jodha sat motionless. She breathed hard. His face was so near! His nose so close to hers. Her gaze unconsciously fell on his soft lips. Her cheeks grew hot. A deep blush crept from her neck to her cheeks and spread over her face. Embarrassed, she quickly closed her eyes. Her hands grabbed the fabric of her lehanga in her lap and grabbed it tight. She should get up and go! But she could not move! Her limbs did not seem to obey her, she felt magically attracted to him! At the same time, she felt his hands on her back. His strong hands felt so gentle! Gentle like a light breeze! Her belly began to tingle. What a feeling! "Kanha, what is this?" she thought. Sparks seemed to sparkle between them in the night sky. She stared at the ring on her hand. The emerald glowed from within. Its deep green pulsed and it emitted constant heat. Slowly her fingers loosened their grip on the fabric and her hands moved to his waist as if of their own accord. Without touching him, they slid further up to his broad shoulders. There they remained as a matter of course. Jalal shivered as he felt her light touch. It caused an inexplicable tingle in his belly, he never felt before. His eyes were yearningly hung to her lips! "Ya Allah! What is happening to me?" he thought. Caught in the magic of the moment, his arms pulled her tightly against him until her head rested against his chest. It felt so good! He smelt the beguiling fragrance of her soft hair and his lips brushed gently over it. Silently absorbed in their embrace they sat there! The moon poured its soft light over their joined souls.

Something cracked in the bushes behind them. Both of them pulled apart, startled.

"What was that?" asked Jodha, listening.

"Probably just a small animal," he reassured her. He picked up her odhni and gently placed it on her head.

"Jalal, we...!"

"Shhh...!" He gently placed a finger on her lips. "Don't say you want to leave!" he whispered and reached for her hand again. Where Jalal's fingers had touched her lips, it burned like fire. The tingling in her stomach grew stronger again.

"No, no, we... umm... one more thing. We wanted to ask for forgiveness." She moved away from him a little. His closeness confused her.

"Ask for forgiveness? Why?" he asked, surprised.

"Well, for the harsh words we threw at you at Harichandra jis place. We... We were not in control of our senses."

"You had lost your memory and did not know any better. Let us not speak of this again. As we said before this villain Sharif-ud-Din will get his punishment for laying hands on you once we are in Agra. We promise you that." His jaw clenched.

"Tomorrow we will send a messenger to Ajmer. Her Highness Mariam Makani, our mother, is there with other ladies of the harem. We have spoken to your father. Nikkah will be held at Sambhar. The ladies will come there. Surely the astrologers will have found an auspicious day for the nikkah soon." His features relaxed again. Jodha smiled.

"Will Bakshi Banu also come?"

"She will come with the other ladies. After the wedding, we will go back to Agra. She also will come with us."

"What about your milkmother?" His jaw clenched again.

"Well, she will also come to Sambhar. Abdul Khan and Fadhil Khan will keep an eye on her. No more harm will come to you. She will not trouble you any more!"