Chapter 66

Harichandra's settlement

"Jodha! Shukriaa, you have woken up. We thought...!" exclaimed Jalal in relief. She broke eye contact and lowered her eyes in embarrassment. Jalal had let go of her hand and jumped up. He was now standing beside her bed.

Jodha looked around disoriented. She was in her hut. Who were all the people around her? She grabbed her head with her hand and groaned.

"Aruni beta... umm... Rajkumari Jodha, how are you? Do you have a headache?" asked Harichandra worriedly.

"Rajkumari Jodha?" she asked, confused. "Who is Rajkumari Jodha? Am I Rajkumari Jodha?" Snatches of memory swirled in her mind. A girl was running through a garden. "Jodha jiji!" she called in a bright voice. Shivani! Her sister! "Will you come here!" another girl called out. Sukanya, her other sister!" A happy smile spread across her face. Her memory seemed had come back! She was Rajkumari Jodha! Daughter of Raja Bharmal and Rani Champavati of Amer! That was why the name had sounded so familiar to her when Harichandra had mentioned Raja Bharmal! That was why the fort of Amer had magically attracted her!

"Harichandra ji, my memory! It is back!" She laughed radiantly. "My head hurts a little. But how... how did I get into the hut? Where is Sharif ud-Din?" she asked sharply.

"Bua sa, we have taken him into custody. He will get his just punishment!"

"Bua sa?" she looked at him questioningly. "Maan Singh? Ahh, her nephew! Her brother's son, Bhagwant Das!" How did you get here?" she asked. More snatches of memories swirled wildly in her mind. Piece by piece, the memories pieced together.

"We were looking for you! Shahenshah, his men, our men. We came at the right time! How dare that bas**rd touch you again! You tripped running away from him and then hit your head. Shahenshah carried you here to the hut."

"Nothing happened to me, Maan Singh. Only my head hurts a little. Harichandra ji, do you have some medicine for us?"

"Ji Rajkumari. Anju, run and get the herbal decoction! I'm so glad that you are okay!"

"Bua sa, dadi sa will be so happy to see you! She has been full of sorrow and grief ever since you disappeared. Dada sa will be relieved. The whole fort will be happy to see you back!"

"Maasa? How is she?" More fragments of memory pieced themselves together. She saw her parents in front of her and smiled.

"She sits at the window all day, speaks nothing and stares out! Waiting for the men to bring you back. She is not well." he said sadly.

"Oh, then let's ride to the fort quickly! We can't wait to see everyone again. How we have longed to know who we are, where we come from! And now my memories have come back!" she laughed happily. Meanwhile, Anju had returned with the herbal medicine. Harichandra put some in the water cup and handed it to her.

"Rajkumari, rest some more! Wait for the medicine to take effect and the pain to subside! This is not to be trifled with!" he said anxiously. Jodha grabbed his hands.

"Harichandra ji, you were right that my memory would come back one day! Please come with us to Amer! You too Anju! You have welcomed us here so hospitably and taken care of me. We would like to return the favour. Our parents will be deeply grateful to you!" she said warmly.

"Rajkumari, we have only helped one person in need. Not worth mentioning." he said sheepishly.

"Don't argue. You come with us!"

"Rajkumari Jodha!" Jalal stepped up to her bedside. "We are very pleased to see that you are well! We have come at the right time to put a stop to Sharif ud-Din! He will get his just punishment, we promise you!"