Chapter 68

Sambhar

"Shahenshaaah! Jodha had jumped up in the pavilion and was screaming! She looked fearfully at the hunters with her eyes wide open. Bakshi looked at her, startled.

"Jodha, what happened?"

"Shahenshah! He is in danger!" she shout in alarm.

"What? How...?"

"Jalaal!" Abdul yelled at the same moment.

Sultan made a startled leap to the side. Jalal felt his hand tingle! He heard a low whirring!

"Oww!" The hunting assistant near Jalal groaned and looked in surprise at the arrow that had pierced painfully into his upper arm. He doubled over in pain and grabbed his upper arm with his other hand.

"Bring him back to camp!" yelled Jalal "A hakim should take care of him! The arrow came from that direction." He pointed to the reed huts. "Abdul, Fadhil let's go and see."

Bhagwant Das rode up to the hunting assistant.

"Come along. Our vaidya will take care of you. Help him onto a horse!" shouted Bhagwant Das to the hunting assistants.

The archer cursed his bad luck and carefully sneaked out of the reed hut to his horse, which was hidden behind a nearby bush. Hastily he swung himself into the saddle and put the spurs to the horse. He had to escape!

"Jalal, there!" Abdul pointed in the direction of the fleeing man. The men tore their horses around and took up pursuit. But the lead was already too great and they had to turn back without success.

"The attack was on me, Abdul! Who dared to attack us? Is it someone who wants to prevent the wedding or are there other reasons behind it?"

"I don't know, Jalal. Surely there are some who are against the wedding. Both Mughals and Rajputs! But there could be other reasons behind it too! Where should we start looking?" Jalal looked at him thoughtfully and let his gaze slide verifying over the shore and the pavilions set up there.

"You are right! By all means, be vigilant and follow up on every little clue!" he instructed Addul and Fadhil. "Sipahee! Search the huts! Watch out for every little thing! Abdul, ride to the ladies and report what has happened. Surely they will be worried. We'll talk more later! Let the hunt continue!" The soldiers swarmed out.

The ladies had heard Abdul's cry and had jumped up. Concerned, they watched from afar and talked excitedly. They saw commotion and bustle among the hunters and behind the reed huts a rider riding away at a fast pace.

"Useless son of a donkey!" Maham Anga cursed softly between clenched teeth, her face contorted into a grimace. She quickly regained her composure and as she stepped next to Hamida Banu, a worried expression was on her face.

Abdul reached the ladies.

"Abdul Khan, what happened?" Hamida Banu called out to him disbanded. "Is Jalal fine?"

"What about Jalal?" yelled Ruqaya.

"Ji, Mariam Makani! Ruqaya begum, nothing happened to him. An arrow was fired at him but it missed its target. The injured hunting assistant was escorted to the camp by Kunwar Bhagwant Das. He will be treated there. Unfortunately, the assassin escaped. At Jalal's order, the hunt will continue. Please return to the pavilions. The sipahee will ensure your safety."

"Ya Khuda! Not to think about if the arrow had hit its target!" shouted Hamida Banu in horror.

"How could this happen?" asked Ruqaya cuttingly.

"Make sure the assassin is found, Abdul Khan. Put everyone on alert!" shout Maham Anga sharply. "Nothing must jeopardise His Majesty's security! Leave no stone unturned!" she ordered.