Chapter 31

Amer

Jodha sat on the large balcony of the palace and looked out over the garden. She enjoyed the lush green of the neatly trimmed hedges and the colorful blossoms of the flowers, which were lovingly tended by the palace gardeners. She had made herself comfortable in a pavilion on a divan with thick, soft pillows to read. Light fabrics attached to three sides of the pavilion prevented prying eyes. The thin strips of fabric rustled softly in the light breeze. Soft giggles and the melodic sound of paayal approached. Whispers could be heard behind the curtains.

"Huh, jiji". Sukanya and Shivani wiped the curtains aside and sat with Jodha on the divan. Jodha smiled.

"What are you doing here? Did you escape your tutor?" she smirked.

"No, jiji, we're done for today."

"And maasa has no tasks for you both?"

"No, jiji. We wanted to see you. Are you telling us a story No one can do it better than you! "Shivani flattered her.

"Uh is that so?"

"Ji, jiji" came out of one mouth from the two girls and they burst out laughing. Jodha joined her laugh.

"Then I don't want to be like that. What kind of story do you want to hear?"

"Umm ... tell us the story of Lord Krishna's birth," Sukanya asked.

"Oh yes please, jiji" begged Shivani and looked at her pleadingly.

"All right then". The girls made themselves comfortable and Jodha began to tell.

"There was a little town near the river Yamuna. It is known as Mathura, a holy city. It is the birthplace of Lord Krishna. Mathura was under the rule of a tyrannical king named Kamsa. Kamsa was so greedy and cunning that he not even spared his father Ugrasena. Having imprisoned him Kamsa declared himself to be the King of Mathura. Ugrasena was a nice ruler, and Kamsa was just the opposite."

Suddenly restlessness welled up in her and she fell silent. Her heart began to pound wildly! The need to put on the ring attacked her suddenly!

"Jiji, what is it, go on!"

"Uh, it's nothing!" She shook her head and pulled herself together, trying to ignore the unrest. She went on telling slowly.

„It was a trying time for the commoners of Mathura to put up with Kamsa's extravagance and unfair rule. Above all this, Kamsa locked his horns time and again with the rulers of the Yadu dynasty which led to frequent wars and troubled the peace-loving citizens of Mathura. But soon a happy news came. Crown princess Devaki was getting married to King Vasudev of the Yadus. The Mathura citizens welcomed the wedding. For it surely meant that Kamsa's frequent wars with the Yadu dynasty would come to an end. Soon the much-awaited day...".

"Jodha!" Moti came running excitedly.

Shivani and Sukanya both glared at Moti.

"Moti, why are you bothering us? Jodha is telling us such a beautiful story," pouted Shivani.

"I'm sorry choti! Jodha, you should come to the pigeon keeper! It seems important."

"What is it, what did he say?" She looked excitedly at Moti.

"Nothing, just that you should come quickly."

Jodha's mind raced. Could there be a message? Was that why she was haunted by the urgency to put on the ring? Her cheeks flushed slightly. Moti noticed that and she knew what Jodha was thinking. She sighed.

"Wait here" Jodha said to her sisters. "Be right back. Then I'll tell you the story."

"Yeah please". Let us not wait so long jiji."