Chapter 69

Slowly he tilted his head towards hers. At the last moment, she turned her head to the side and his lips brushed her cheek! A thousand sparks rushed through Jalal as his lips touched her cheek. Jodha felt like burning. His lips left a trail of glowing lava! The tingling in her belly intensified. "Kanha, I have to go! This is all so confusing! But it feels so good in his arms!" For another moment she lay in the security of his strong arms, then she found the strength to detach from him.

"Shubh raatri, Jalal!" she said softly with burning cheeks and ran up the steps to the terrace. There she turned once more and their eyes met one last time for a deep look before she turned and disappeared through the small doorway. Enchanted and longing he looked after her and listened to the sweet soothing, becoming quieter sound of her paayal.

_____________________________________________________________

"Jodha!" Moti called softly from the entrance of the mandir where she had been waiting.

"Ah, Moti! Let's go back to camp!" Jalal's soldiers followed the two women unobtrusively until they safely entered Jodha's tent. Jodha's cheeks were still glowing.

"Please help me with my hair." Jodha asked. Absently, still quite caught in the web of her confusing thoughts and feelings, she took off her jewellery and set it aside. She still thought she could feel his lips on her cheek. Her stomach still fluttered as if with a thousand butterflies. Unconsciously, she placed her fingers on the spot and smiled dreamily. Moti watched her in the mirror and smiled knowingly. She began to undo Jodha's braid and comb out her hair.

"Jodha?" asked Moti. Jodha continued to smile dreamily to herself. Lost in thought, she packed her jewellery in her jewellery box. A dried rose blossom was carefully tucked away in a compartment. Her fingers lovingly caressed the blossom. "This night in Agra...!" her thoughts wandered.

"Jodha?" asked Moti again.

"Mhh.... What?" Jodha startled out of her thoughts.

"Are you dreaming about Jalal-ud-Din Muhammad? What did he do, which conjure you such a dreamy expression on your face?" she asked teasingly.

"Ummm... Nothing... nothing, Moti!" Jodha blushed heavily. "He... we... I was able to talk to him about Maham Anga. He suspects her too. He suspects that she instigated one of her relatives to ding an assassin. Probably a confidant of Sharif-ud-Din." She shuddered at the thought.

"Accha! And that's why you are daydreaming with your eyes open with a soulful face? I don't believe a word you say!" said Moti mockingly. "Well, tell me! He had eyes only for you in the mandir! Did he kiss you on the forehead again? Or maybe...?" she asked curiously with a wink.

"Moti! You go a little too far lately!"

"Accha? Tell me! I've told you everything too!

"Umm... I... I tripped. And he caught me!" she said dreamily. "His strong arms held me!" she said softly. Moti grinned.

"Did you like it?"

"Huh... well... stop it already!" replied Jodha caught and lowered her eyes.

"Didn't you ask me about Fadhil too?" Moti pouted. "So, tell me, did you like it?"

"Umm... ji!" she whispered, barely audible. "Moti, he... he wanted to kiss me!" Her cheeks turned dark red.

"Well, did he?" asked Moti excitedly.

"I... I turned away. But he...umm...he..." The red on her cheeks became glowing.

"Oh Jodha!" Moti began to giggle.