Chapter 65

Amer

Well before sunrise, he rode out of the fort in a hurry. He had chosen the fastest horse in the stable. As soon as he was out in the open, he released the horse's reins and it galloped off. He rode as long as he could to sleep a few hours and give the horse a rest. At daybreak he rode on. He reached Amer late in the afternoon. He found a place to stay for the night in a cheap lodging near the fort. After a short rest, he made his way into the alleys of Amer to get something to eat. He mingled with the people and bought something to eat from one of the countless cookshops. He sat down with a few locals and began to eat. With half an ear he listened to their conversation.

"Did you hear? The white rider has been seen again! He was on the plateau again early in the morning."

"You're imagining things. Did you see him with your own eyes?"

"No, but my neighbour did. He was on his way to the neighbouring village early in the morning! He stood there calmly and disappeared again shortly afterwards."

"His imagination must have played a trick on him!". "Ghost stories!" exclaimed another. The men laughed.

"Oh, believe what you like. This is not the first time the rider has been seen!"

Sharif ud-Din shook his head at the conversation. What fools! He finished his meal. After satisfying his hunger, he returned to his quarters and fell into a dreamless sleep. Rested, he set off the next morning for the baazaar. Aimlessly he wandered through the small alleys in search of... Yes, what was he looking for? He had to find a way into the fort! He made his way to the fort. The guards at the gate strictly controlled anyone who wanted access to the fort. It would be difficult to get into the fort! He loitered around the gate and continued to watch the comings and goings. Just then, a group of traders with bangles and colourful trinkets were being checked. The guard waved them through. He quickly joined the group unobtrusively and he found himself in the courtyard! Well done! A group of girls stood giggling together nearby. They seemed to be waiting for the traders. They looked towards them expectantly. The traders spread out their goods and began to advertise them loudly. Meanwhile, other women had joined them. An idea formed in his head. Unobtrusively, he looked around. A young maid was engrossed in trading for a few bangles. Slowly, so as not to attract attention, he moved towards her. Eventually she came to an agreement with the merchant and slipped the bangles over her wrists. Satisfied, she strolled from merchant to merchant, admiring here, examining there. But nothing seemed to appeal to her. Carefree, she moved away from the action. No one paid any attention to the maid. Now! He grabbed her from behind and pulled her into a dark alcove between two buildings behind the traders! The girl's eyes were wide with fear! The big hand over her mouth and nose made it hard for her to breathe. She began to squirm and tried to scream.

"Stop resisting! Nothing's going to happen to you! I just have a few questions and then you can go!" She tried to turn her head to look at her tormentor and tried to speak. "I'm going to take my hand away now! If you try to scream...!" He held his dagger to her neck. The girl flinched! "Will you shut up?" She nodded fearfully, her eyes fixed firmly on his hand with the dagger. Slowly Sharif ud-Din removed his hand from her mouth. Relieved, she took a deep breath.

"Now my little dove! Will you answer my questions!" she nodded eagerly. "Is the royal family present in the fort?"

"Ji. But why...!"

"Silence! I'm asking the questions here!" She felt the cold metal of the dagger against her neck. The voice chilled her.

"Where are the royal family's chambers?"

"That... I am not allowed to say!" she choked out in horror. The dagger was pressed harder against her neck, pressing painfully into the soft flesh!

"Suno, my little dove! You will tell me now where the chambers of the royal family are! Otherwise, no more words will ever come out of your pretty lips!" The girl gulped.