Chapter 10

Jodha's tent

Jodha took a piece of paper and cut it in a small piece. She slowly began to write. Again and again she paused, considered, wrote on. Thought again and angrily crumpled up the paper. Once more she cut a piece of paper and started over. After the fourth attempt, she was satisfied.

She rolled the paper tightly, carefully wrapped a narrow ribbon around it, and tied it in a knot. Then she got the cage with the dove and gave it a few grains. The dove eagerly pecked at the grain. Jodha smiled. She opened the cage and took out the dove. The dove looked at her fearfully from its black button eyes. She lovingly stroked the white plumage and calmed the animal. She carefully knotted the small roll of paper to one of the pigeon's feet. Carefully she hid the pigeon under her pallu and left her tent. She looked around to see if anyone was nearby. Nobody was to be seen. She walked slowly to the edge of the camp. Once more she looked around attentively. Nobody paid any attention to the girl. She took the dove out of its hiding place and stroked its plumage again.

"Fly, little friend," she exclaimed and threw the pigeon into the air. Smiling, she watched the dove as it rose into the blue sky until it was only visible as a small point in the distance and then completely disappeared from her view. Satisfied, she went back to her tent, relaxed on her bed and began to read in a book.

Din Panah

"Did she get my message?" Jalal wondered for the hundredth time. He was with his doves and waited longingly for the return of a certain dove. The doves had gathered around him and were cooing and pecking eagerly at the grains he tossed them. Suddenly a flutter could be heard and a dove perched on his shoulder. The boy excitedly took the dove in his hands and immediately saw the small roll of paper that was tied to her leg. He stroked the dove's plumage. He happily took his dagger and carefully cut the scroll. He thoroughly tucked the roll in his sash and offered the dove a few grains as a reward. The animal gratefully pecked the grain and then flew to its conspecies. After throwing a few more grains, he hurried to his chambers. He was about to pull the roll of paper out of his sash when Ruqaya entered his room. He rolled his eyes in annoyance and put the scroll back into his sash.

"Jalal, let's play a game of chess. I'm so bored".

Jalal sighed "If it has to be" he said resignedly.

He let Ruqaya make the first move and they started playing.

"Jalal, what's going on, you are so unfocused, look, your queen is threatened".

Jalal looked at the board and hastily got his queen to safety. His mind was at the roll of paper, hidden in his sash. He was dying to call for Abdul, who could read the message to him. Step by step, Ruqaya cornered him.

"Chess" she exclaimed happily.

Jalal's king was surrounded on all sides.

"And checkmate," she triumphed.

Jalal was glad the game was over. Now he just had to get rid of Ruqaya somehow.

"Congratulations Ruqaya, you are simply unbeatable" he congratulated.

"Let's play another game Jalal."

"No, I don't feel like it anymore. I want to take a little rest. Khan Baba spoke to me beforehand about the preparations for the falcon hunt. That was exhausting," he cheated.

"Oh yes the falconry. I'm looking forward to it," said Ruqaya enthusiastically. "Do you have a good hawk for me?"

"Surely one will be found for you. Now please leave me alone ".

"Don't send me away again." Ruqaya pouted.

"Ruqaya, I really have to take a rest now" he replied annoyed.

"Yes, yes, I understand. I'm going," she said angrily and left. "Khuda hafiz!"

Jalal called for a servant.

"Get Abdul here! He should come immediately."

The servant bowed.

"Ji huzoor" and hurried away.

A short time later, Abdul entered the room.

"Abdul, the dove has come back. It's worked out. I got a message" he exclaimed excitedly and pulled the small roll of paper out of his sash. Abdul was surprised. He hadn't expected that.

He excitedly waved the little scroll in front of Abdul's nose.

"Quickly, read to me what's written in it".

Abdul grabbed the scroll and read it. He frowned.

"Now tell me! What's written in it?" Jalal shouted impatiently. Abdul read the words aloud:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings Shahenshah Jalal-ud-din Muhammad,
we have received your gift. We cannot accept it.
Rajkumari Jodha Bai

Feathers white-brown - quickly bring me down
Sharp eyes, watch the disguise
morning has broken, this is the token

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jalal laughed out loud.

"How can you laugh? She simply refused your gift!"

"No she did not. She answered me. I just have to solve the riddle. It seems she likes riddles as much as I do. Why else would she have sent the carrier pigeon back with the message and in return posed a riddle to me? Read it to me again!"

Feathers white-brown - quickly bring me down
Sharp eyes, watch the disguise
morning has broken, this is the token"

Abdul was concerned. "What does she mean by that?"

"Mhhh feathers white-brown, feathers white-brown, bring me down ... I think she means a bird. Morning has come, this ist the token... Mhhh... I got it. The falconry! She means the falconry. It starts early in the morning and a falcon has brownish-white plumage. But what does she mean watching the disguise, sharp eyes "

He began to pace thoughtfully.

"Disguise, sharp eyes ..." he muttered to himself. A big grin spread across his face.

To be continued...