Chapter 52

Before dawn, Jalal swung himself on Sultan! The wedding was over. Now he could withdraw for a while. He had informed Munim Khan and Atgah Khan that he wanted to go hunting. He had to sort his thoughts. Where could he do that better than in nature!

In the fort, Munim Khan met Maham Anga.

"Abdul ruined everything with his testimony!" Maham Anga snorted. "The young Rajput lad would have been sentenced to death and the Raja's hatred would have been certain! But so...!" She brooded.

"We have to come up with something else Maham Anga! The opportunity is good! Jalal went hunting this morning. He has informed me that no decisions may be made in his absence!"

"Ahh interesting! Did he? What if there is a need for action?" Maham Anga asked with a dirty laugh. "Listen...!"

_____________________________________________________________

"Raja Sa, what if that's a trap? I don't trust these Mughals any more!"

"Nothing will happen, Champavati! It's just a meeting with the Prime Minister! The emperor probably spoke to him about the alliance he offered!"

"The emperor has spoken to you about an alliance?" Champavati was surprised.

"He has promised us support if Amer should decide to form an alliance with the Mughal Sultanate. We would keep sovereignty over Amer!" He did not tell her the option of a political matrimonial alliance.

"Did you agree?"

"No, I have to discuss this decision with all the ministers when we get back. It would have far-reaching consequences!"

"You are right. Now go! We will find out, what is important to discuss!"

_____________________________________________________________

„Aadab Raja Bharmal! Welcome!"

"Pranaam Munim Khan. What give us the honor of this conversation?"

"Let's not waste time unnecessarily! His Majesty has offered you an alliance with the Mughal Sultanate!"

"Ji! We will discuss this matter with our ministers as soon as we are back in Amer."

"You don't have to worry about it anymore!"

The Raja looked at him questioningly. "We do not understand...?"

"Well, His Majesty withdrew his offer! The affair with your nephew hit him hard!"

"Maan Singh is innocent! Abdul Khan could testify this! His Majesty acquitted him!"

"He acquitted him! But his doubts have not been completely dispelled! In view of this fact no alliance with Amer can be forged! I am sure you understand! The trust is disturbed!"

Bharmal turned pale! The conversation did not go well!

"What does that mean for Amer?"

"That means that you should leave as soon as possible before the emperor is back. He had to leave at short notice on urgent state matters! It is better if you no longer face him. That way, grass can grow over the matter and who knows, one day our relationship with Amer will improve again. But for the moment it is better if you get out of his sight! Otherwise, His Majesty might decide to take Amer by force! I don't need to explain to you what that means for you as Raja!"

Bharmal was shocked! What was going on here? Were they part of an intrigue? Who had committed the assassination attempt on the emperor and who wanted to blame them? He cursed Amer's weak defense! A fight against the Mughal army was hopeless! But what had changed the young emperor's mind? Did he really doubt Maan Singh's innocence? Or was there something else behind it? He had to ask the neighboring states around Amer again for support. He sighed!