Chapter 70

Slowly he approached. Jodha's heart began to hammer wildly. Her breathing stopped for a moment. She closed her eyes and finally their lips brushed for the first time, tenderly and lovingly at last! The moment he had longed for so long! Her lips were so soft, felt so warm and silky. His hand gently caressed her head. The fine rose scent of her hair beguiled him. Jodha felt like she was in heaven. The scorching touch of his lips sent shivers down her spine and goosebumps appeared on her arms. Thousands of butterflies fluttered in her stomach. What a feeling! As if of their own accord, her arms slid over his back and from there to his shoulders. The feather-light touch of her hands made him shiver and ignited his desire. He deepened the kiss and unconsciously she pulled him closer. She felt the warmth of his body and then her brain stopped working and she sank into the sweet sensations of her first kiss.

"Shahenshah ka iqbal buland ho! Here is a messenger with an urgent message!" The voice of a guard caused the two to scatter. He looked at her regretfully then furiously furrowed his brows. His jaw clenched and he gritted his teeth! Who in the Almighty's name dared to disturb their suhaagaraat? Cold rage rose in him! He sat up.

"Who dares to disturb our sleep?" he roared enraged. "It must be an important matter, otherwise it will cost you your head on the spot!"

Jodha looked at him in dismay. His sudden anger startled her.

"Shahenshah!" His eyes spraying rage, he wheeled around. Her hazel eyes stared at him fearfully. She wordlessly put her hand on his arm. Her gentle touch soothed his anger somewhat and his expression softened a little at the sight of her.

"Gustaki maaf, Jahapanah, the messenger has an urgent message from Agra. He says it is very important and will not grant any delay!" the guard replied.

"Jodha begum!" He tenderly took her hand in his. "We will go and hear what the messenger has to say." He sighed.

"Shahenshah! He is only doing his duty." she said placatingly. He stroked her cheek gently.

"We'll be right back!" he stood up and left the tent. "What is so important that it can't wait till morning?" he asked the messenger gruffly.

"Gustakhi maaf, Jahanpanah!" The messenger bowed. "There are serious riots near Agra. Atgah Khan has sent us! He requests your presence in Agra." Jalal stared at him.

"What do we know about the attacks?"

"The situation is confused! The insurgency could spread and reach Agra. Villages have been attacked and looted. Houses and huts set on fire. Atgah Khan urges you to come to Agra as soon as possible." Jalal's mind raced. His anger was boiling up again. Uprisings near Agra? They should not dare attack Agra!

"Guard, bring Abdul Khan, Chugtai Khan and Fadhil Khan here! Now! You may leave!" he barked, turned and went back into the tent. Jodha walked towards him.

"Shahenshah! What happened?" she asked anxiously.

"There are riots near Agra. The situation is confused. The riots could spread to Agra!" He ran his hand through his hair.

"Who are the insurgents?"

"We don't know. We must leave for Agra immediately!" he looked at her regretfully. "It is imperative that we leave immediately."

"Under the circumstances, you must leave as soon as possible! Agra is without a ruler! That will arouse covetousness! We will leave as soon as possible with the harem here and follow you to Agra. Bhagwant Das will accompany us with his men in addition!"

He looked at her in amazement. He had expected disappointment, sulking, tears. Instead, she kept a cool head. "Another quality that makes her pleasantly different from other women!" he thought admiringly.