Chapter 34.5- Chaotic Involvement

3rd Person POV

Up in the north, screams and the pounding of machinery can be heard from the fortress in which the Black Legion resides in. Slaves worked day and night in hellish forges while women screamed as they gave birth to monstrosities. All the while, the warmaster sat in his own throne room, contemplating.

As Ezkhar sat, one of his subordinates entered the room. He kneeled before his warmaster, for he had slew others who had forgotten to do so. The floor was adorned with dried blood and corpses were propped up by chains on the walls. On his throne and around it were skulls of those he had killed.

Chaos Lord: Warmaster, the forces we had sent to the capital have been decimated

Ezkhar: What of the False Emperor?

Chaos Lord: He has been routed from the city. His forces are no longer there either

Ezkhar: And what of our rebuilding progress?

Chaos Lord: It has been successful so far warmaster. Armor is being constructed, albeit rather crudely

Ezkhar: We are fortunate we still have a few warpsmiths. The Dark Mechanicus ceased to exist after all this time

Chaos Lord: Indeed my master, new marines are being inducted as we speak as well

Ezkhar: And the rituals?

A loud scream was then heard, it echoed through the fortress. The ground then rumbled as a dark presence was briefly felt. Ezkhar grinned beneath his helmet, for his question was answered just like that. Prioritizing certain specialists proved beneficial for him and his plans.

In one of the forges, there was now a restless abomination. A mix of flesh, machine, and daemon being chained up. It roared as chaos astartes beat it into submission and dragged it down to a large chamber. The daemon engine was locked behind sturdy steel doors until it was meant to be set loose.

Chaos Lord: May I ask a question my lord?

Ezkhar: Speak.....

Chaos Lord: Sorcerer Honrus has voiced doubts about Honest

Ezkhar: Is that so? Enlighten me to these doubts

Chaos Lord: He states that Honest is too weak and not formidable enough to deal with the False Emperor. He said that this puppet of yours will hardly slow down the inevitable

Ezkhar: (chuckles) Honest is a cunning and corrupted man. He will die in a head on fight for sure

Chaos Lord: My master?

Ezkhar: However, as I said he is cunning. He will hold his rotting Empire together for quite some time

The Chaos Lord before Ezkhar then began to understand. Honest is but a possible means to an end, another obstacle for the False Emperor. After Alexander dealt with warbands in the south, he'd have to deal with Honest and his supporters. This would hopefully weaken Alexander's forces, allowing the Black Legion to face them on their own terms.

Although they had lost a few during the small battle near the colosseum, it was nothing severe for Ezkhar. He had only lost a squad and a sorcerer, something easily replaceable. However he would only send cultists to Honest now, not chaos marines. Although the warmaster would take a hands off approach, the corruption of the Empire aided in spreading chaos influence itself.

Ezkhar: Even so, Honest has two aces up his sleeve

Chaos Lord: Really my lord?

Ezkhar: The teigu meant to be used by that child emperor, it has the fire power of a Imperator Titan. Then there is General Esdeath.....

Chaos Lord: Yes..... you have a keen eye on her warmaster

Ezkhar: The potential within her to be a champion of chaos is tremendous. She herself plays a great roll in dealing with Alexander Marius.....

Chaos Lord: This is the first time I've heard you refer to the Fale Emperor by name

Ezkhar: Silence, I merely emphasize the pivotal roll Esdeath plays. She will aid in dealing with him

Chaos Lord: Do you believe she could possibly kill him, my lord?

Ezkhar: Hmmmm, it is a fairly large possibility that she could. Considering her abilities, it's safe to say she could kill him if given a boost in power

Chaos Lord: Are we to provide such an advantage for her?

Ezkhar: No, that will not be needed at all. The corruption there will eventually seep into her, all she needs is a proper weapon

Chaos Lord: Shall I have one of the warpsmiths begin forging one?

Ezkhar: She will find a blade on her own, all we have to do is sit here and watch before striking

Earlier in the capital

As Alexander flew away with Najenda in his arms, Esdeath faced Susanoo. She had killed him once and would gladly do it again. But she held some respect for the organic teigu, for he stood and fought even though he would most surely die.

Susanoo: I will never let you catch up to them

Esdeath: So you're using yourself as a shield in order to buy time for your companions to escape? Where does Najenda find all these mushy little softies?

Susanoo: I am nothing more than a weapon, and now I have no trump card. Given my situation, wouldn't you agree that this is my best possible option?

Esdeath: You said your name was Susanoo, yes?

Susanoo: Hmm, so you were listening

Esdeath: I will forever remember it as the name of a legendary warrior and not an Imperial Arms

Susanoo looked at Esdeath as she pointed her rapier at him. He knew this is where he'd die, where he'd be destroyed. But he was content in what he was about to do, harboring no regrets at all. He himself was happy that he knew those in Night Raid, but now was his time. It would be Susanoo's final battle, a battle that would be remembered and soon echo in history.

Esdeath: Now as you face your demise, I will enjoy watching your sad attempts to avoid your inevitable end!

The two would clash against one another, though the battle would he short lived. Susanoo would put up a good fight, but in the end Esdeath was unsurprisingly victorious. As she then got out of the crater made from the explosives Najenda detonated, she saw the carnage she missed.

A multitude of dead Black Legionnaires were on the ground. She had never seen these warriors, but she was not impressed seeing how they were all dead. She looked to the sky and briefly saw the one she had wanted to keep fighting against. In the sky, Esdeath saw Alexander flying away in his armor.

Esdeath: Not in my wildest dreams could I imagine that. I want to know how he'd be had he been furious, what would a hit be like from him?

For a brief moment she thought about how Alexander was carrying Najenda in his arms. She gritted her teeth, seemingly jealous of what happened. But it wasn't like her to get jealous like that, even she had realized.

Esdeath (thoughts): What is wrong with me? I'm growing far too attached, but it's not a bad feeling..... 

Esdeath sighed before sheathing her rapier and looking to the sky where she had previously saw her love. As she did so, the corruption that had been slightly left by the daemon prince seeped into her. For she was a perfect candidate, but at the same time she couldn't be controlled by chaos due to her own will.

Esdeath: Oh Alexander, we'll meet again very soon. No one will get in between us.....

Her face then contorted into a twisted grin and a crazed look in her eyes. She had briefly embraced the corruption, simply out of her desire for death and the one she loves.

Esdeath: Because I'll slaughter anyone who gets in the way. You're mine darling.....