Chapter 23.5- Battle of Helsreach

Vandenberg POV

It's been a few days since we arrived here in Helsreach. The overthrowing of the ruling house wasn't easy to pull off. Granted establishing the new ruling house and having others accept them was the hard part.

The Deathwatch was able to dispatch our enemies quickly. Erickson had supplied the factories here with blueprints of his tanks. He said they were called Leman Russ tanks, said he got the name from General Alexander.

Either way, these techno-barbarians were getting closer. I have spent time training the militia here into a full fighting force. These city was not short of people I was able to press into service.

The training took some time, but soon they became aces at using tanks. The factories churned out their own lasgun pattern as the troops prepared. The Death Corps had sent a small detachment to support us. Outside the city was a network of trenches and bunkers.

Now I was walking with a colonel I helped train. I had lost track of Erickson alongside his daughter. I've been searching for them for nearly an hour. Granted, I had only ran into Colonel Krone a few minutes ago.

Vandenberg: Damn it, we can't search the whole city. Have the Iron Guard begin searching for them and alert the arbitor

Krone: Yes-

Erickson: "There is no need Commissar Vandenberg" he said coming into view with his daughter

Vandenberg: Doctor, where have you been?

Erickson: Establishing ties with a certain group of assassins. They will serve the Imperium well my friend

Melissa: They're really quiet and use sign language. I think they're shy because they hide their faces as well

Right after she said that, someone dropped behind the two. It was a female who was clothed rather strangely. She also had an interesting sword in her hands.

 She also had an interesting sword in her hands

Vandenberg: Is this one of the assassins?

Erickson: Yes, they are known as the Emperor's Blades. A hereditary group, not to mention they only communicate in sign language

Vandenberg: Duly noted, but they understand us right?

The assasin nodded to me as I heard approaching footsteps from behind. I turned to see one of the troopers of the Armageddon Steel Legion walking towards us.

Soldier: Colonel Krone! Commissar Vandenberg! The enemy is getting closer to the city!

Vandenberg: Colonel, get the men ready and prepare for combat

Krone: Of course commissar

Vandenberg: Doctor, I trust the Deathwatch and assassins will help us in this endeavor?

Erickson: They will do so

Vandenberg: Excellent, please notify the arbitor. He's probably overseeing patrols and training of more Iron Guard