Chapter 37- Ever Closer

Alexander's POV

A few days had passed, and those days were rigorous. Each one had intense training for everyone, alongside the ongoing construction of new weapons of war. Throughout those days I had witnessed Najenda adapt immediately to her regiment, making an excellent commander. Her regiment had grown in those few days as well, thanks to a few rebels finding their way here and pledging service to the new Imperium.

Akame had me train her personally every single day, just as she asked me to do. She had gotten quicker, her strikes became quicker and more precise than before. It made me wonder though, what would she be like if she used Murasame's trump card? What type of monster of an assassin would she become? I had not foreseen it yet, and part of me hoped I never would.

I raised my sword and parried an oncoming attack. I back stepped before blocking a further strike before kicking Akame back. She dashed around me and slashed at my side, I barely dodged the attack. She stopped as the dust around us settled, looking at me while staying in her stance.

Alexander: I never thought you could get any better than you were originally. Turns out you can, color me impressed Akame

Akame: Considering what we're up against, I have to get better and better

Alexander: Indeed, but it's time to test something new

Akame: What would that be?

Alexander: Come at me and find out

She then charged at me, thrusting her blade forward in an effort to stab me. But I quickly sidestepped the attack and grabbed her wrist. I then wrenched her katana out of her hands before shoving her back. She looked at me, slightly surprised but still on the attack as she ran towards me.

I slashed at her, but she dodged and threw a punch at me. I blocked it as she then sent a roundhouse kick my way. Dodging said kick, she managed to deliver a right hook to my face. To my surprise, the punch actually hurt quite a bit. I back stepped away from her before rubbing my cheek and smirking.

Alexander: Good to know that you're adaptable in case you lose Murasame

Akame: I told you a long time ago that I had to rely on my skill more than my teigu

Alexander: Indeed you did, I was just making sure. Great job Akame, you actually hurt me a bit

Akame: "I did?" she asked cocking her head to the side and smirking

Alexander: "Yes, you did" I replied while smiling

Akame: Hmmmm, you know I've been thinking about something

Alexander: And that is?

Akame: What I said to you a few days ago, about me wanting to kill you

Alexander: Are you planning on doing it earlier?

Akame: No, don't worry about that at all Alexander. I've just begun coming to a decision

Alexander: I take it you're not going to tell me

Akame: No, not for for some time. We should finish up, don't you think? The others are probably waiting

Alexander: Yeah, let's go

I walked over to her sword and picked it up before handing it to her. But when I gave it to her, I noticed that she looked away from me as she took it. I couldn't help but feel curious at this, she had no problems with looking at me before. As we walked back to the city, I saw Cadian Shock Troops marching in formation.

As then went on, I could see a commissar barking orders to them. All while Najenda followed and observed a few feet away from all of them. Their numbers had grown a bit more due to Sheele finding a few more scattered rebel groups. It was then I noticed that Najenda was also wearing a uniform, reminiscent of her ancestor. Soon I'd see her tactics in play, and it will be spectacular to watch.