4. Rock-bottom

Tragedy won't stop the living.

Ling Wen found few trees near their hut have the same carvings. From his memories, it seemed the original person carved these words.

We are so alike. He must be worried no one would look after the boy after he died. Maybe that's why I got dragged here. To protect him.

Ling Wen touches the carvings before leaving.

Stay strong. Strive hard.

These phrases kept repeated. The original owner must have carved them on the trees when he's felling down.

The old woman is too weak anything. Ling Wen helps her to drink water from time to time.

Dehydration could kill someone in her weak state.

They got some sweet potatoes dug out from the forest.

Ling Wen made a thin gruel from it and slowly feeding her by spoon.

Slowly but sure, the woman's condition got better.

Ling Wen wakes up his son. They are doing exercises every morning.

"Xiao Bao, have more spirits. It's a good thing to rise early. We must become early birds."

"Why? I'm sleepy..."

"Early birds have it all. Raise the dead. Conquer fate. And tame wild animals."

"Really?"

Ling Wen nods his head.

He comments, "That's my grandpa told me."

Thinking about his farmer gramps make him saddened. At least the old man has died before he got transmigrated here. Otherwise no one would look after him.

No one would burn joss money for him next year. He isn't in that world anymore.

Ling Wen secretly prays to his gramps. Asking for forgiveness.

Xiao Bao pulls his sleeve.

Ling Wen looks down to him.

The little bun is staring him with his beady eyes.

He asks, "Daddy, teach me how to fight. So the other kids won't bully me again."

Ling Wen sighs.

If I knew how to fight, I won't be taken down. I almost got raped, kiddo.

Of course he won't tell him the truth. His son would be scared if he know it.

Ling Wen says, "Honestly, I don't know how to fight. I think we better train how to run. We must increase our stamina too."

A ger's body is just too weak. A woman is even stronger than I.

Ling Wen is still complaining in his mind.

Suddenly they hear, "I could teach you."

Both father and son look toward the old woman. She is still look weak. As if standing up has taken up a lot of efforts.

Ling Wen complaints, "You should rest more."

"Why do you save me?" asks her.

She looks suspicious. No one has been kind to her without a reason.

Ling Wen replies, "We are humans. We help each others when we could."

Of course his common sense from modern world is a mystery to ancient people.