23. Poisoned

Ling Wen looks backward. He feels someone is staring him. No one. He must be getting paranoid.

He delivers breakfast to Yu Fei. It's early in the morning. Master and Xiao Bao is in backyard, practicing martial arts.

Yu Fei stares mooncakes in the plates. He offers it to Xiao Bao. The boy grabs two of them.

Yu Fei chuckles and picks a mooncake. He bites it and a flower petal falls down from his hand.

Yu Fei's eyes widened.

Ling Wen smirks. Thai and Chinese folks often use flowers in cooking or making cakes. This dish is called flower cake.

Suddenly Xiao Bao looks choked and he falls to the ground. Yu Fei is coughing too.

Ling Wen got panic.

He asks, "What's wrong?"

Is it allergic? Some folks couldn't eat flower pollen. But I washed them thoroughly...

Yu Fei takes out a pill and breaks it into half. He forces it to Xiao Bao's mouth. He eats the other half. The tiger general is lying on the ground, groaning.

An old woman comes out from behind a tree.

She laughs bitterly.

"I finally got you, Demon. You are too careful. Never thought your sweetheart would poison you."

Ling Wen is shocked. It's the person he has saved in the past.

He asks, "Poison? Why?"

"Killing a demon is righteous deed."

"Shut up! Give me the antidote!"

Ling Wen tries to grab her but she knocks him back.

Few shadow guards capture her and tosses her into the dungeon. Poor Ling Wen and his son got thrown into it too.

Ling Wen is weeping. It's his fault for saving this poisoner. Now his son might die because of it.

The old woman curses, "Stop whining. I can't sleep."

"You are the demon! Give me back my son!"

The old woman sighs. This foolish ger and his boy treated her well during her stay. She wouldn't have poisoned the meal if there is another way.

"Here. Go feed your boy."

"Is it real?"

The woman is going to take it back when Ling Wen grabs it. He feeds his boy with trembling hands.

"Son, be good. You would be fine."

The old woman sighs.

She says, "I did this because Yu Fei harmed my son."

Sound of footsteps echo in the dark prison.

A man is holding a blade. He has knocked out the guards on his own.

The old woman calls happily, "You finally show up!"

"Mother. Why are you doing this?"

"I have to. You won't see me after all. Why are you dressing like this? As a ger..."

Ling Wen is speechless. The person in front of him look manly. Unlike a frail looking ger. Only a dull reddish fertility mole under his left eye is the proof of being a ger.

"I told you. It's my choice. Yu Fei only helped me."

"Xiao An, you could have married and have kids. What are you doing serving the military?"