9. Business Deal

(Cheng Ran)

(Cheng Ran)

"What did you say?" asks Cheng Ran.

"Cheng family has canceled the marriage arrangement with General Yu Fei," announces his grandfather.

"Why? We are supposed to get married this year..."

"Simple. The general asked us to prepare a coffin if you kept insisted. You know his bad temper. Even the Emperor won't be able to tame him."

Cheng Ran screams out of frustration.

He yells, "I'm going to talk to him!"

"Ranran! Are you out of your mind? He hates you to the bones. You stay in the house for a while. We will arrange a better marriage for you."

"I hate him! Yu Fei! He kept me waiting for years!"

All his friends have got married.

Cheng Ran is a ger from State secretary. The only child from his late wife. He got spoiled rotten since early childhood.

*****

In the mansion gate...

Ling Wen argues with a gate keeper.

" Why I can't go out? " demands him.

" Master' order. Too dangerous."

"I'm not a prisoner in here."

Ling Wen is pouting. He rolls up his sleeves, ready to fight his way out.

The gate keepers ignore him. Xiao Bao pulls him away before he made a fool of himself. It's impossible to fight them and win.

After the ger left, the gatekeepers gossip.

"So cute. I wanna pinch his cheeks."

"Yeah. Puffing his cheeks like that. Adorable...If I'm still single, I would pursue him."

A cough from behind so they stop gossiping.

A butler asks, "What's happened?"

"Report, the new ger wants to leave the mansion."

The butler orders, "Don't let him leave. Let me tell the Master."

He goes to report to Yu Fei.

A knock on the door.

Yu Fei orders, "Come in."

Ling Wen comes in alone. His son stays outside.

He bows his body to Yu Fei, a custom for a servant in this ancient era.

Yu Fei frowns. He dislikes seeing their status difference. Accepting a commoner like Ling Wen as a servant is the only available solution.

He asks a bit coldly, "What's wrong?"