19. Regret

The Prime Minister scolds, "The Emperor sent you to persuade Yu Fei. Why you left empty handed?"

Zhao Yun glares at his father in law. The older man is feeling goosebumps. It's like having a predator eyeing on you. Wondering if you're going to be tasty or not.

Zhao Yun asks, "Have you ever loved Ling Wen?"

"Of course."

"Why are you urging Ling Wen to be sent away? Selling him to a foreign prince to be his plaything?"

"What do you mean?"

"That ger is Ling Wen."

"Impossible! He is dead!"

Zhao Yun did the second kidnapping. He abducted his father in law and brought him to a dilipidated hut near forest, few miles outside of capital.

He points to the hut.

He yells, "Ling Wen lived in there for many years! Tell me! Do you really love him?"

"It couldn't be... I sent a lot of money every month for him."

Zhao Yun mocks, "Prime Minister, for a smart man, you are just a fool. Someone raped Wen and you didn't even care."

"Raped! She said he hooked up with a merchant..."

"She?"

"My wife..."

Zhao Yun sighs. The mother in law is Ling Wen's step mother. It's clear who set him up now. Zhao Yun married her daughter after all. After the engagement with Ling Wen was broken.

The general says coldly, "I'm going to divorce Ling Xiang."

"You can't do that! She's innocent!"

"It disgusted me when I think she has that woman's blood."

"General..."

Zhao Yun climbs up his horse and left his father in law stranded there. Near a forest.

Ling Xiu, the Prime Minister walks into the deserted hut. His heart hurts when he sees the terrible condition.

The roof is almost gone. The walls have holes. It must be freezing cold here during wintertime. To think a frail ger lives in a place like this.

"Ling Wen, I'm sorry..."

He promised his late wife to look after Ling Wen. The ger is always obidient one. Never gave him any trouble.

A well respected Prime Minister. He couldn't even protect a weak ger in his home.

His heart is bleeding in his way home.

*****

"Ling Wen," calls Zhao Yun

The general has been waiting for him to come out of the manor. He has dressed up especially to meet his ex-fiancee.