CHAPTER 3

St Paul. The dream I had worked for was right in front of my eyes. With its high building, surrounded by lush green trees, spread across a large area was enough attraction. Students were buzzing all around the campus. It was a perfect day.

There was no difficulty in finding any of my classes. I even managed to make two friends. Sam and Rose.

By noon I was out of the campus and on my to my workplace. A fifteen minutes walk, that's all. I had to pass the shop in the morning on my way to college so I was quite familiar with my way. Turn right from the college go straight and when you see a big mansion take the left and the third building to the right.

Its kind of a huge building, painted in black and red and a board saying book café hung right in the entrance. I step inside. I wish I had enough fancy words to describe this place. Right when you enter the smell of freshly baked bread along with smell of library welcomes you to this heaven. On the right side was a huge book shelf covering the entire wall extending up to the roof. A portable ladder right at the middle and a man stretching his arm to the upper shelf.

Below the shelf were all sort of cushions, couch, chairs and tables placed neatly, most of them were occupied. And by the side of the glass door racks containing newspapers and magazines.

On the left side was an actual café or rather I would say a silent café. This part of the room was prominently filled with tables and chairs. But the main attraction of this part was the long windows facing the road that acted as table and the small chairs placed by its side.

There were two counters, one on the book side. People could lend and buy books. There were two separate shelves for both. So, this counter was both the billing section and also the librarians desk. This was my place. I was assigned this job.

The other counter was café billing section which was handled by Mary (I had already come to this place on the third day of my arrival and was properly introduced to each one of the staff.)

Mary was the first one to see me. she waved at me and pointed towards the kitchen. I went straight to the kitchen. Aunt was bend over a cake. The rest of the staff were either in the kitchen or in the café. There was Georgina, Steve, jack, Jane, molly and henry. Most of them quite close in age to me. I went to Aunt and a warm welcome followed. People here are so nice and warm.

I was taken to my counter and was briefed about my job which basically included billing the book and collecting the details of people lending the book.

My counter was no less beautiful. A long desk with lots of notepads and pens and a laptop all of which were so neatly arranged that I was doubtful about touching them and a cute little whirling chair. Behind the chair was a glass window and the window seat was so comfortably cushioned.

In short, I was mesmerized with this place.

Many people whom I had seen in the college were regular customers of the shop. The shop was never empty it was always buzzing with people books and coffee.

**************************************

Days passed in ease. I had started to adjust completely to my schedules. I had even begun to understand the accents.

Working hours were my absolute favorite. Sometimes Eva accompanied me in the evening and we went home together at night. Of lately a boy named Josh has become my main attraction in the shop. He was Eva's classmate and a crush of many girls. He was so damn handsome; those long hairs and blue eyes were a complete wow factor. His house is the big mansion in the turning.

Eva had introduced us one evening and now a days he is a regular customer. The only problem was that he left too early.