CHAPTER 32

Its been a week since drake had said a complete sentence. Even when it was about work he would just give me monosyllable replies. Sometimes it frustrated me but most of the time I was happy.

We had completed the report within a month and had mailed veronica a copy of it. She was quite happy with our work. She smiled at me shook my hands and said good job Zahira.

But that wouldn't even come close to the hug she gave drake and patted him on the back and said you did overcome your difference. He gave her a small smile and nodded. He wasn't quite in a mood that day. For most part of the day he walked around with a very complicated face. He was tensed I think.

After lunch I felt really bad. I knew even if drake was not there I would have submitted the report on time, but I am sure I would have got shouted at for the report. He just get everything right. I owed him something. Maybe I should talk to me. not much. But a little conversation won't hurt.

I went back to our room after luch and saw drake pacing up and down the room. He was really tensed about something.

"what happened?"

He looked at me and shook his head and stood near his desk rubbing his eyes slowly with his hands.

"are you sure? You could tell me if you want." I said.

"if I want right?" he opened his eyes looked straight into my eyes "I don't want to talk about my problems to you." His tone was really rude.

"woah. Thats....thats quiet rude. But its okay."

"no its not okay. you think that was rude? You know why I don't want to tell you, because talking to you is like talking to a wall. Its like a monlouge, better I would talk to myself."

I was taken aback by that sudden response. I didn't say anything for a moment. "well" I let out a sigh "okay. I am sorry for that day."

"that day? Seriously? According to you that was the only thing you ever did wrong?"

"wrong? I am sure I have done no wrong, atleast to you?"

"oh is it? Lets just play the days backward. Right from the start I have tried a lot to just fix everything between us I have put in all my efforts and you didn't even try.'

"why would you put the effort? I had made it very clear that this is just Proffesional then why would you want to fix anything other than that? WHY?"

Gradually our voice started to rise. I could feel the heat going up my body. I could see his whole body go stiff as his anger rose.

"Zahira IF YOUR PERSONAL LIFE IS MESSED YOU PROFFESIONAL LIFE WOULD BE MESS TOO. I was trying to fix that. But no, you don't want that right. You just want to ignore people and hurt them."

"you shouldn't have tried to fix anything. And you talk about hurting? Does any of this even stand in front of what you did to me?"

"oh now we are playing the past game. DECIDE FOR HEAVENS SAKE. Just decided if you want to or not want to talk about the past. Just don't be this confused, one moment you are nice to me one moment your mad at me. MAKEUP YOUR GODDAM MIND."

"I HAVE NO INTEREST IN TALKING ABOUT THE PAST. You just make me so mad that I had to."

"okay then. You are mad now. I am mad too. So come lets talk about that fucking past. What big tragedy happened in the past that you can't even get over it even after three whole fucking years?"

"WASN'T THAT BIG ENOUGH? Oh how would it be of any significance to you right? Just another girl you cheated on?"

"I had accepted my mistake. I tried fixing things---"

"its not that easy drake. YOU BROKE EVERYTHING. WHAT WILL YOU FIX. ITS JUST DUST NOW."

"WHY WASN'T I GIVEN EVEN A CHANCE TO SPEAK. You didn't even bother to listen. If you cared that much about that relationship then why did you not listen to me atleast ones."

"I cared about that realtion a lot. But I had to care about myself too—"

"guys." Sam peeked his head through the door "you are too loud." I looked around and saw all eyes on us. Fuck. Such a mess. I had promised myself the moment I saw drake that I would never let any of this come in the way of my job. Thats exactly what I did today.

"sorry"  both of us muttered and went back to our own seat. I bent down and laid my head on the desk. I could feel a tear come down my cheek. I just wanted to go out of the room but I was too embarrsed to even lift my head. I closed myself and sat like that for a really long time, untill I heard the door open and drake went out.