CHAPTER 21

I don't know when I slept. I woke up to sunshine hitting right on my face. My eyes were puffed up I could hardly see anything, my head was hurting, my body hurt from lying on the uneven ground. As I lifted myself up a tear ran down through my face. Not because of Eva not because of drake, but because of the state I was in. I pity myself for ending up like this. Crying on a hill top, when I had better things to do. I lifted the lid that covered the cake.

I took the knife and cut off the portion with his name and threw it away. Now I didn't feel like crying, I was too tired to cry, the pain was no less, the crazy knots in my stomach that had made me double up in pain was still there but I guess the tears are not. Maybe Mrs. Stewart was right, tears may have just gone away with the night. But even though I didn't feel like doing anything, not even getting up from the place where I sat still.

I heard footsteps, slowly and then almost running towards my direction. Drake. I don't even have to look up, I just knew it was him.

"I am so sorry. I am such a jerk. Zahira, I know you are mad at me, but I am really sorry. This stupid phone was silent all night. I know I shouldn't have forgotten about my own birthday. My own goddamn birthday. I am douche bag. I promise I will do anything to fix it. Literally anything." He said as he walked closer, and when he was close enough to see me, he paused midway and knelt down in front of me. "what happened zahira? this is surely not about the birthday. Look at you. You have gone red and pale all at ones, and your eyes." he lifted his hands to touch my face I shoved his hands and looked up at his face and smiled.

"happy birthday drake." He looked surprised.

"zahira. Tell me what the matter is. We will fix this, I am here—"

"why are you here?" a fresh stream of tears started flowing from my eyes you. "You should be making out with Eva, right?"

I saw a reflection of my feelings in his face. First it was surprised, then sadness clouded his face.

"zahira listen it was nothing." At this I felt anger shoot up my body.

"nothing. Drake kissing someone would be a fucking nothing to you but it is not for me." I could feel my body shiver.

"okay. Wait. Don't get worked up" he tried to hold my hand, I pushed him back and stood up.

"DO. NOT. TOUCH. ME." I walked away.

"okay I won't." He was just a few steps away "but let's just talk about this calmly."

"WHAT IS THERE TO TALK?" I turned around "oh. Are you going to tell me how the kiss was?" he shut his eyes ttight"I don't want to know drake."

"zahira. I was drunk."

"okay. So, you were not yourself, you were not conscious. Is it?" I folded my hands near my chest.

"yes."

"tell me something, do I not exist in your sub-consciousness."

"zahira---"

"drake." I saw a faint hit of tear glimmering in his eyes "please. I seriously don't have strength for this. Please."

He cleared his throat "fine. But will you talk to me later?"

I didn't feel like answering his question, so I walked on. I could still hear his footsteps close by.

I turned homeward when a voice called me, I turned around to see josh. Drake was staring at him, and josh behaved like drake didnt exist.

"i I know it is not a good time to talk, still--"

"then just leave." Drake stepped closer to him.