CHAPTER 28

"so that's decided. zahira will assist drake and we will have periodic reviews. I will , maybe give you more freedom in this project zahira, now that we have drake, he will guide you."

I was trying so hard not to show all the grudge I was feeling. This is awesome right? I had to stand back all this while because Rachel had more experience than me and now I have to stand back, even after having experience because apparently drake was clients choice. Wow.

"uhm. Sorry to interrupt veronica. But assist is not what I think would work here. She definitely has more experience I could use that and I could help her out with the clients preference. So, a working together would be more suitable." Drakes voice was so confident when he talked to veronica.

"thats really polite of you and really considerate. So working together." Considerate? What does that mean, he is not being considerate he was just showing a point that she was missing, what is wrong with her?

"For now there is not much work pressure. We don't have a big role to play at the meeting coming in two months, its just mostly about the finace and budget. After that our role is the most prominent. I am planning work from home. It would be best for all of us, we would think about that later. For now, I have to leave. Thank you. See you after two weeks"  She got up and left.

I covered the top half of my face with my hands, I need to get out of here fast. But I have to work. God. Couldn't we have separate cabins. I can't wait for work from home.

"so." I don't know why I lifted my head to look up, I was not supposed to look at him with just a so, I was supposed to ignore him.

"so?" I didn't know what to say. Why are we even talking.

"so. Are we supposed to act like we are strangers—"

"drake. Listen. We.are.strangers. okay? Get that straight in your head and I don't want to talk about anything  before today." I had to make this clear. I didn't want him coming up with subtle references of past.

"fine. We are strangers." He repeated just like I had said. "but we can't just sit and ignore each other, we need to work together." He was smiling. like really. All this is funny to him. All that he made me go through was funny to him. I just lost it at that point.

"listen" I said lifting my hands but before I could say anything more veronica peeped in "zahira, one minute." She motioned me to come out.

Standing before her always made me feel so short. She stood with her hands folded near her chest.

"let me tell you one thing. Drake, he is related to the client, that's why he has got this project." I thought so, I knew there was something between the client and him to be on the project "that means he is important, one mistake and he can just take this client out of our hands. So be careful and be polite. You can't just go round and make him listen with that bossy tone." O my god was she evesdropping. She was still not done "be polite. I am not here for a week but mind you I am watching." I knew exactly what that met, that means Rachel is going to watch me.

It's so easy for her to say be nice be polite how? How am I supposed to be nice to drake? And I am not a kindergarden child that someone will run around watching my behavior. Why can't she just let me be? But since I had no right to answer her back I nodded and walked back.

"is everything okay?" drake asked as I entered back into the room.

"I hate you." That was the maximum I could reduce my voice.

"oh I know that." He stood up and came closer "anything new?"

"drake let me put this clear. I am uncomfortable with you around me and I would like it better if you could keep this professional. So stop." I meant every single word I said. I went back to my desk. I didn't know what to do, I could feel his look. Those eyes could pierce through any soul. I sat staring at the blank screen on my laptop. I felt like crying. Finaly I had managed to dust the past terrors and get up, I was not actually happy with my present but atleast I was comfortable. Not anymore, everything will be ruined. I can literaly see that first year, first year without drake.

I looked up from the screen and he was sitting opposite me holding a pen in his left hand and a notepad in the other. He was beautiful. Every bit of him was beautiful. But his heart was not pretty.