CHAPTER 20

Finally, tomorrow is drake's birthday. I have planned everything, from lights to cake to sheets for sitting. He was to meet me at 11:50 sharp at the hill top.

"you remember the plan, right? On time, okay?" I asked over the counter. He was leaning across playing with a paper weight.

"yes Zahira Rowen, I remember. You---"

"we will talk tonight; we will do the talking of the whole two weeks that I missed. We will talk about your normal family issues. We will talk about everything. But for that I need to complete all these works first. I am really sorry, I know—"

"it's fine." He did smile but one could really see he was not much happy, I really felt bad. He had never been this busy whenever I needed him, not fair. But the thought that I will make up for it tonight was a little relief to the guilt.

For the rest of the day I didn't see him, a few texts and one call thats it. At five I went over with all the decorations to the hill. I did everything on my own. I hung all the lights on the tress, which was definitely challenging considering my height. I had to get the cake from Charlies, I spilled juice on the sheets and had to go around my room searching for another. But at 11:00 when I was surveying the whole setup, it was pretty satisfactory, I am proud of myself. Now time to wait. I texted him.

'11:50. dare not forget. Or if you want we could start the celebration early. I am ready? Are you?'

Ten minutes, thirty minutes, 11:50, message still not read. I had tried calling him a hundred time, it was unreachable. What a start. At 12:00 I decided to go down to his house and check. I cant let this be ruined.

I struggled with my small flash light. A moonless light. It was only when I reached the residential area with the streets lit brightly from one end to another that I could feel my breath. I walked as fast as I could. I shouldnt be late.

Yes, there leaning against the gate of his house. He stood—oh wait. That's not drake.

Josh looked up from his phone "hi there. This time? oh drake, ya of course." He smiled at me.

"could you just get him?" I said staring up at his bedroom, brightly lit, it felt warm even from this distance.

"he is not home." Josh said looking back at his phone.

"not home? Where is he?"

"umm.... if I am not wrong, I believe he is at Olivers place, party."

"wait what? Drake? Party? No way. And who is this Oliver?"

"Oliver is a friend." He held his phone close to his ears "hey Oliver, man sorry. yeh I know well I just wanted to check, is drake there? Okay, cool then."

"ha, so as I was saying, Oliver is a common friend and drake is at his place. Go straight, first left, third house." He pointed down the road.

I called drake one more time, still not reachable. How could he just forget and go to some random Olivers party. The call ended and the screen flashed 12:15.

"happy birthday josh." I turned to look at him.

"oh." He looked surprised "well, thanks."

And I was on my way to Oliver Christopher whatevers house. I just hope he wouldn't throw me out, saying I am not invited. As I came closer to the house, music got loud. But thankfully not the sort that would make you deaf with a single beat.

The lawn was littered with paper glass, papers, and what not. I could literally feel my back hurt just at the thought of the poor person who would have to clean this mess in the morning.