CHAPTER 15

This was the first time that Drake and I were reaching the college together. Which means that I am late, really late.

"am I early?" he looked at his watch.

"no. I am late. I need to hurry, too late—"

"relax." We were still standing at the main gate. Students were coming in, some were even going out, tired of classes already, I guess.

I just felt like holding Drakes hand and walking, for the first time I felt I have no reason to hide anything. I slid my hands into his, his eyes rose in a second, first in surprise quickly replaced by terror and then with smile, I could feel his hand tighten around mine.

As we walked, I could see some, if not all, gazes in our direction. It was weird, no other couple would receive even half this stare. I looked at Drake and his face had no sign of anything bad, he was happy, he was smiling he was walking with his head held high looking straight. I could feel my lips widen into a smile.

I was missing Julie. Did I mention Julie? Well she is a late admission. But the moment we knew each other I liked her. She is my only ray of hope in all this boring classes, we have so much in common that she doesn't feel like a stranger. And today Julie has gone out with her boyfriend who leaves in some far of place and has come to meet her. If I were to go back to India will Drake come to see me?

"listen Zahira." Maddy nudged me from the back seat. She was sitting with her group of friends.

"yes Maddy?"

"is it true that you and Drake are seeing each other?"

Obviously, I can see him and he can see me too, what does she mean by seeing each other. She should have directly asked excuse me Zahira since I have no life, I interfere in others life, so are you guys dating?

I am sure this monolog was playing in my head and that I was simply staring at her for half a minute. Now what do I say, yes or no. yes obviously, my mind screamed.

"ha... well yes I guess." I knew that adding a guess at last was a mistake because she and her group of whatever-friends started laughing. And I am happy about what I said next "stupid people."

I took my backpack and left the room. I went out and stood in the hallway not knowing where to go.

I was planning to go out when I heard a hum on my right side.

"josh?" he was standing next to me smiling, he had a smile that was too similar to that of Drake. I was happy to see him, after so long. It was like we had forgotten each other.

"so, why are you standing in the dead center of the hallway with clueless written all over your face?"

"ha. I was so bored sitting there, but now that I am out, I don't know what to do?" I said looking around.

"even I am bored. You know with Eva; I would have happily sat in that yawn-provoking class had she been there. But now I can't even think of sitting there."

I smiled at the thought of Eva. Yes, she truly made even boring things bearable.

"do you want to grab a drink. Its almost time that your class ends." He looked at his watch.

"okay then, lets go." it would be nice to be out with somebody other than Eva and Drake.

When we reached the parking, he went straight to his car.

"josh." He turned around "could we just walk?" I never missed a chance to walk and this place and time had such a walkable vibe in it.

"sure." He smiled and we went out the main gate.