42: All Hell Broke Loose.

Amanda had to stay late at night – she had a call at the hospital. It was pouring outside and she was in the call room – resting her eyes for a while. She sighed and rolled to the other – facing the wall. She was confused. Ethan has been behaving weirdly. Amanda knows that he had made very clear that he doesn't think about her as he does and after three long years – she finally accepted that but now Ethan was being weird around her – she sometimes feels like if he was interested in her but then other times she feels like a fool thinking about it. She blew her cheek off and tried to rest her eyes for a while. Thankfully, it wasn't a busy day at the hospital. She closed her eyes slowly but gradually fell asleep.

Ethan was in his office – staring hard at the wall where some of the paintings his younger brother made were hanging. He had his eyebrows knitted as he rolled the paperweight on the desk – creating a very screeching voice but he didn't mind because he wasn't even listening. His mind was at Amanda and the man that came to see her to the hospital today. The way she was laughing and being touchy to him bothered him and it only wanted him to beat some sense into himself. What was wrong with him? Just a few months ago – he bluntly told Amanda to never think that he will ever be interested in her. He told her that he was a senior and her boss and she should respect that – he was brutal. Amanda did exactly what he asked for then why was it bothering her so much. Ethan thinks that he has gone insane. He cannot have any sort of feelings for her – no, it can't be.

It was late at night and Ethan was still at the hospital – when he didn't have to be. He decided to go home and sleep – the more he stayed in the hospital – the more he was thinking about Amanda which isn't healthy for him. He stood on his feet and was collecting his belongings when someone knocked at his office's door. The knock sounded urgent. He brought his eyebrows together and turned to look at the door, "Yes?" He called out. Mrs. Bolton, a nurse at the hospital, opened the door and looked at him with widened eyes – Ethan could see the panic in her eyes, "What happened?" He asked. "The ambulance is out on a call," She told me. The ambulance is usually out on a call – Ethan didn't get why she was so panicked, "So?" He asked.

Mrs. Bolton was out of breath, "There has been a shooting," She said. Ethan's heart dropped, "Alert everyone," He directed her and turned back around to put his stud back and grabbed his pager. He glanced around to see that Mrs. Bolton was still standing by the door, "What are you waiting for, Mrs. Bolton?" he asked urgently. She gulped, "Sir, we were on a call with the paramedics. They said that there are three victims – one of them is Dr. Wayne," she informed Ethan. Ethan felt as if all the blood from his body drained. "What?" He managed to whisper. She nodded her head as Ethan hurriedly walked out of his office with Mrs. Bolton on his tail. "There are two more female victims – they both weren't identified to the paramedics when we got in touch with them. They will be here any minute now," She said as Ethan silently rode the elevator to get down. He rushed to receive Leo and other victims before he asked Mrs. Bolton to alert everyone. This night was turning into a nightmare for Ethan. He was baffled – who could do this to Leo and the other two women?

Amanda was woken up by the sound of her pager going off. It was an emergency. She hurriedly got up, brushed her hair with her fingers, and gathered her coat and pager before she wore her shoes back on, and ran towards the entrance of the hospital. There was chaos in the hospital – she was informed that there has been a shooting at some building and three people were injured. Her heart was pounding – it always does when she knows that she will have to treat the wounded. She gulped and tied her hair up in a ponytail as she rushed towards Ethan – who didn't look so well while he waited for the ambulance to arrive. Amanda looked at him, "What is the update?" She asked. Ethan glanced at her – he didn't know how to tell her. He knows that she is close to Leo. He sighed, "Dr. Fletcher, I don't think you are needed here. We have plenty of doctors here," Ethan said while he saw an ambulance rushing into the hospital's premises. He couldn't ask Amanda to leave since one way or another she will know but he still doesn't think that it would be okay for her to be there when Leo will be the one that needs to be treated.