49: Lost Her.

There was a stunned silence in the room – where Elizabeth was confused by Leo's presence – everyone else was surprised to see him here. Owen, Maria, and Silas's eyes were on Leo and Leo's eyes were fixed on Elizabeth, who looked bewilderedly back at him. "Leo?" Maria called out her brother's name but Leo never looked at his sister – he couldn't take his eyes off Elizabeth. Even when the confusion and emptiness in Elizabeth's eyes for him were painful for him yet he couldn't look away – the last time he looked at her was when she was sounding sleeping in his arms. Silas was about to move towards Leo – he didn't think it was a good idea to tell Elizabeth about her and Leo but Owen called his son out and stopped him, "No, Silas – it is time," he told Silas, who turned around to look at his father – his eyes questioning him. Owen sighed and nodded his head, "She needs to know," he replied.

Elizabeth brought her eyebrows together, "What is it?" She asked as her eyes went from her brother to her father and then on to Leo – who stood silently in the middle of the room. Owen nodded his head as he looked at his son, "We need to give them some privacy," Owen told his son as he moved closer to Maria and helped her get her crutches from the floor. Silas stood wordlessly – still thinking of it as a bad idea. He looked at his father and then at Maria who softly bobbed her head – he agreed with Owen. The longer they will hide it from her harder it will be for her to take. Silas let out a sigh and licked his lower lip, "Fine," he mumbled. Elizabeth's eyes moved around the three people that were talking as if she wasn't in the room, "Will anyone tell me what is going on? What are you people talking about?" she asked – getting impatient. While Silas helped Maria get on her feet, Owen moved closer to Elizabeth and placed a kiss on her forehead, "Leo will tell you everything." He tells her softly.

Elizabeth knitted her eyebrows together and asked, "What?" she was confused. She looked at Leo who had looked away from her and was now staring at the floor. She looked back at his father – bewildered, "Why will he tell me anything?" she asked softly. Owen smiled softly, "Because he knows more than anyone of us," he replied – which only confused Elizabeth. Owen sighed and added, "Don't worry – you will know everything," he said and straightened up. He moist his lips and glanced at Leo before he looked back at his daughter, "Uh – you two need to talk while I will go and check up on your mother," Owen said loud enough for Leo to hear.

Leo immediately lifted his head to look at Owen before his eyes went to his sister who softly nodded his head – confirming that they didn't tell Elizabeth about Mrs. Harrison yet. Leo is not dumb – he knew why Mr. Harrison said that – he wanted him to know that he needs to keep Ruby's death a secret from Elizabeth. Leo gulped and looked at Owen – who looked back at him. "Alright, I will see you in a bit," Owen said to Elizabeth as he softly squeezed her hand before the three of them slowly walked out of the room – leaving Leo and Elizabeth alone. Leo was nervous – his fingers were cold and his lips were drying. Elizabeth had her eyes on him – wordlessly screaming questions at him. Leo knows that she couldn't take the secrecy anymore so, he moved closer to her – slowly.

Leo was scared – he could deny that. He was scared to know how Elizabeth would react when she will know about the complete truth. Where Leo was scared, nervous, and afraid of losing Elizabeth, Elizabeth was confused. She couldn't understand what possibly Maria's brother could know better than her own family? She gulped and played with her fingers as she saw him slowly moving closer to her. She cleared her throat to eliminate the moment of awkwardness they were having and smiled, "Hey," she greeted him softly – know what else to say. Leo stopped and without smiling back at her he replied, "Hey," he whispered. Elizabeth blew her cheeks out and shrugged, "What is happening? I am honestly confused." She said. Leo stepped closer and sat on the chair beside her bed when he badly wanted to hug her and kiss her and tell her how happy he was to find her okay. He wanted to let her know how much he missed her but he knows that he can't do it – not now at least.