46: The Funeral.

Leo looked at Rene's lifeless body as she lies in the coffin. She didn't look like she was dead – it looked like she was sleeping. She looked so peaceful. All Leo could think was the last time he saw her in the elevator. The same picture was playing in his head on repeat. He didn't know what to say and how, so he stood silently beside her coffin. He could hear Mrs. Cooke crying. He glanced towards her to see Paige sitting beside Mrs. Cooke – she wasn't crying nor was she showing any emotion. She was completely numbed. "Oh God," He turned his head to look at his sister looking down at Rene with tears running down her cheeks. Silas was just behind her – holding her while she cried, "I am so sorry, Rene." She whispered to Rene before she broke into sobs. Leo hasn't seen her cry like this since she came to Chicago to see him. She has been keeping it in and finally – she broke. She couldn't help herself. Leo looked away from her as he slowly walked away from the coffin. He could hear Maria crying but he didn't stay with her – he knows that Silas was there to be with his sister.

Leo could feel eyes on him –almost everyone present was curious by his presence. Leo wasn't bothered by the gazes on him – he knew people will look at him. Some might even question him – that is something he wasn't ready for. What happened? Did you know the shooter? Was she your ex-girlfriend? Leo knows that these questions must be ringing in people's heads and one of these days – someone is going to ask him and he honestly doesn't know how will he answer them. He walked away from the funeral and sat on the cemented boundary beside the tree as he sees the funeral taking place from a distance. He wasn't supposed to be here. He is supposed to rest for two weeks. But he was restless – he had to be here. He had to apologize to Rene – but he couldn't. He saw her pale face and felt like words were stuck in his head. He couldn't talk. He had to distance himself from everyone and therefore he walked away and came where he was sitting.

It has been twenty-four hours since he was discharged and he still hasn't heard about Elizabeth. He was getting restless. He couldn't sleep all night long. Every time he would close his eyes – Elizabeth's face would come to his mind and he would freak out. He hasn't asked Maria or anyone about Elizabeth's condition – he wasn't sure if he was ready to talk about her to anyone. He just had to make sure that she was alright. He sighed and bowed his head – he hasn't spoken to Elizabeth for six days – he hasn't seen her either. It was killing him. He needed her in his life – she was now like a part of his world – a part that he doesn't want to lose – ever.

Leo lifted his head as he felt someone sat beside him. He turned his head to look that it was Silas. He wasn't looking at him – instead, Silas had his eyes at the funeral service. Leo looked as well to see where Maria was and saw her talking to Paige as the both of them cried. Silas sighed, "She needed privacy," he replied to Leo's unasked question. Silas knew that Leo must be a little worried about her despondent sister. Leo wordlessly nodded his head and refused to look at Silas. It was weird for both of them. Leo didn't like Silas because of what he did to his sister and now Leo was in some sort of the same boat. As much as anyone tells him otherwise – he knew that he was responsible for what happened to Rene and Elizabeth. The guilt was slowly eating him and he couldn't do anything about it.

Silas who was silent for a while now looked at Leo, whose head bowed while he was completely zoned out with a frown displayed on his face. Silas didn't know how to tell him about his sister. He knows that he will be happy to know that she was finally awake but he doesn't know how well he will take the fact that she doesn't remember being with him at all. Silas and his entire family were completely gutted when they came to know about Elizabeth's amnesia. The doctors can't tell whether it was just short-term amnesia or not. Right now, they were focusing on her health. Her wounds need to heal to avoid any sort of complication that could come up in her way of getting better. Silas wasn't sure what his sister to Leo. He has been thinking about having a one on one conversation with him. A sad smile stretched on Silas's lips – he finally felt how Leo must have felt. "I know now," Silas broke the silence.