10: The Pain He Is In

Leo tossed in his sleep as the same haunting nightmares leave him in a cold sweat. Even in his sleep, he is well aware that he is dreaming, but still, he could feel the fire burning up his skin. He can smell the burnt flesh. He could feel the intense pain in his left knee and his back. He could hear them yelling and screaming around him. He could feel a hand holding his hand tightly before it slowly let it go. He could feel the fear, anger, regret, and sorrow as he sees a dead body lying on the muddy ground in front of him. Leo gasped and opened his eyes as he stared at the ceiling in the dark. He panted as he wiped off the sweat forming on his forehead. How he wishes it was just a nightmare when it really is a memory – a gruesome and painful memory. He could feel the throbbing in his leg as he hunched forward and let out a deep breath. His gaze traveled on to his wristwatch resting on the nightstand. He leaned over and picked it up to see that he still got about two hours to sleep. It was too early in the morning, the sun wasn't even up yet and he had a couple of hours to rest his eyes before he returns to the hospital on his duty. But, Leo is well aware that he will be unable to sleep now, so without further delay, he gets off from the bed and decided to go on for a jog.

As a doctor, he is well aware that he shouldn't be running fast or for long with the injury he has on his knee, but Leo doesn't care – he always goes on a jog to try to erase all the painful memories off his head. He doesn't think about the past when he is a pain because of the running – he knew that it is a stupid tactic, but he doesn't care as long as it works. Leo ran along the empty streets. He could hear the birds chirping on the trees and the sky turning grey and orange – the sun was about to shine brightly in the sky, but it can't overcome the darkness of his life. He ran and ran until the pain got complete unbearable – he stopped. He was out of breath as he sat on the as he saw people walking by him. The sun was out by now and the hustle bustle of a Monday has started in the early morning.

He pressed his knee and flinched and the pain in his knee made him unable to stand. He didn't panic – it was something he goes through now and then. He waited for the pain to grow lesser before he could go back to his apartment while was almost an hour walk away from he was at the moment. He gazed down at his wristwatch to see that he still has about two hours before he has to show up for his shift at the hospital. He stood on his feet only to sit back down – the pain shoots up to his entire leg as he tried to walk. Today he stretched his limit too far. He gulped and tried to stand once again, but failed to stay put and sat back on the bench.

All this time he was completely unaware that Elizabeth, in her car was seeing him struggle. It was the first day of her work and she was driving to her office when she saw Leo struggling to stand up – thinking he was injured she got out of the car and moved closer to him, "Hey, are you alright?" She asked him. Leo jerked his head to look at her. He didn't expect to bump into her here as well. He was still out of breath and almost complete drenched in sweat from the run – he nodded his head, "Yes, I am fine." He managed to reply to her. He looked away and waited for her walk away but when she didn't he looked back at her, "What?" He asked. She sighed, "I don't think you are okay. Do have pain in your knee?" She asked him while her eyes were on his knee he was holding.

He let go of his knee and shook his head, "No, I am fine. You can go." He said to her. She narrowed her eyes, "Are you sure? I can drop you somewhere if you want." She offered. He shook his head and declined her offer, "No, I am alright. Can you please leave?" He asked agitatedly. "Why do you have to be so rude?" She asked him vexingly. "Why do you have to lecture me on my behavior?" He shot back. Elizabeth flared her nostrils, "You know, I was just being nice to you – but no Mr. grumpy-pants-Wayne, doesn't want anyone to be nice to him. I swear I don't get you – one minute you are hot and other you are cold." She snapped at him. He sighed, "Did I ask what you think about me?" He asked her drily. Elizabeth was quiet before she rolled her eyes, "Fine, be your usual self. Die or live – I don't care." She said hotly. She was about to walk away when a stranger approached Leo. An elderly man looked concerned as he could see that Leo was in pain, "Sir, are you alright? Do you need help?" He asked him, but before Leo could answer him – Elizabeth interjected, "Oh no, sir – don't ask him that. Such gestures of gratitude only offend him." She said.