17: New Neighbors, Old Feelings

Leo rushed to the hospital where he works. He was welcomed by worried-looking Mrs. Robert, Mia's mother. "Thank God, Leo – you are here. They have taken him inside," She wept. "Please, they are not letting us in – can you please see how he is doing now?" She asked him as she cried. Leo held her hand and nodded, "Yes, I will. Where is Mia?" He asked while looking around. Mrs. Robert looked around and knitted her eyebrows, "I don't know – she was here just a minute ago." She replied. Leo glanced towards the emergency ward, "I have to go in and see how everything is. You wait here." He didn't have time to look for Mia – he had to go see Liam first.

He rushed inside to see a doctor's orogastric tube via Liam's mouth while he was barely conscious. Leo rushed at Liam's side and asked the nurse about his status while he pushed his hair off his small face, "The child seemed to have accidentally drunk the household bleach." The nurse notified him. "When the mother got him here – his blood pressure was quite low. Dr. Smith is performing a stomach pump on him." She added. Leo nodded and kept an eye on the medical procedure but didn't interfere as the doctor was doing his work. After the longest fifteen minutes, the procedure was done and Liam was put to sleep for a couple of hours. Dr. Smith, after making sure Liam was okay, walked to Leo and asked, "Dr. Wayne, do you know this child personally?" He asked.

Leo wasn't sure what to answer him. He couldn't possibly lie to him – he had seen Leo getting anxious by seeing Liam in such condition so he nodded his head, "He is family," He replied. Dr. Smith nodded his head, "Alright, can I have a word with you?" He asked him. Leo nodded his affirmatively and followed Dr. Smith out where Mia and her mother were waiting for some news. Dr. Smith looked at them and spoke, "He is okay now. Thankfully, he didn't swallow too much. He had to pump the bleach out of his system. He is resting right now, but you can see him one by one."

Mia sighed out in relief and sniffed, "Thank you so much," she said to Dr. Smith who smiled back at her. Her eyes then went on Leo and she smiled before she stepped forward and out of blue embraced him in a tight hug, "I was so scared. I saw gagging and then he started to feel dizzy – I was so scared." She wept. Leo glanced at Dr. Smith who already had his eyes on them before he hesitantly put his hand on her head, "He is okay now, don't worry." He spoke softly. Leo knows how hard it is for her to be a single mother and now this – she must be emotionally drained. He slowly pulled her away and held her by her shoulders. He looked into her teary eyes, "He is alright, so don't worry, Mia. I have to go and talk to Dr. Smith – why don't you go in and see Liam?" He asked her. She wiped the tears off her face and nodded, "Yeah," She replied softly before she smiled softly at him and went into the emergency room.

Mr. Robert sat on the bench as Leo stepped to her and asked her if she needs something. She declined and said she will wait here. Leo nodded and walked with Dr. Smith. Dr. Smith didn't waste much time. As soon as they walked a little far from Mrs. Robert he spoke, "I think Liam is being tyrannized." Leo didn't expect him to say that – he halted and narrowed his eyes, "What? What made you believe that?" He asked. Dr. Smith sighed and rubbed his forehead, "He had some faded bruises on his stomach and what seemed like a fresh one on his forearm." He replied. Leo's felt like someone knocked the breath out of him, "What?" He managed to choke out. He was still shocked by the news – Liam and he has been really close and never did he ever tell him anything about being bullied. "It seems like someone held him very tightly by his forearm," Dr. Smith pointed out. "I think we should talk to the mother as well," He continued. "And maybe ask the child if someone is physically harming him." He added.

Elizabeth was astonished to see the beautifully decorated apartment. Ethan showed her around and she toured her new apartment with her mouth ajar. She never thought it would be so well furnished. "Ethan, I love it. It is amazing!" She exclaimed. Ethan looked at her as she gets excited with her hand placed on her cheeks. "Thank God, you like it. You room took the most time. Some works screwed the shelves over your bed's head – I had to make them redo it." He told her. Elizabeth turned around to look at him, "You didn't have to put so many efforts in it," She was feeling a little uncomfortable. No one except for her family has done something like this for her before. Ethan grinned, "That smile on your face pays off all the efforts. Now, when can I expect an invitation to the house warming party?" He asked her.