3: The Things She Left For Them

What did you think about the job offer from West Valley Pharma? Does it still stand? Owen asked his daughter as he, Elizabeth, and Silas were having breakfast. Elizabeth put down her fork and knife and nodded her head. She swallowed the morsel before she spoke, Yes, it still stands. I talked to Dr. Ethan Griffiths yesterday – he would like me to join for the research for Zika viruss vaccine from next month, She replied to her father while looking down at her plate. She heard her brother sighing, But? He asked. Elizabeth lifted her head to look at her brother and knitted her brows, What do you mean? She asked. Silas smiled, I can hear but – so? Silas questioned his sister. Elizabeth sighed and leaned on the chair. Silas was right – she was having doubts. She glanced at her father who was already looking at her. She decided not to speak out the real reason and shrugged, I dont feel that their research facilitation is up to mark, so – I am just giving it a second thought. She lied. She knows that Silas could see through her lies. Silas slowly chewed the morsel while his gaze was fixed on his sister – he could see how sister was having doubts and he didnt want to stretch them, so he turned to his father. Dad, Tobey talked to my secretary – he was waiting for your call. He wanted to know if you will be able to meet him later this month. Silas changed the topic and Elizabeth couldnt be more thankful. Soon Owen and Silas started talking about the business and Elizabeth quietly ate her breakfast.

It has been three weeks since Elizabeth came back to New York. She was finally accepting her mothers sudden death. She finally embraced the fact that she killed herself, but the dull ache was still there and it was keeping her from achieving her dreams to live a normal life. The medias interest in her mothers death faded away and so did her relative's concerns. She couldnt be more thankful that her family was off of the spotlight and was slowly getting back to life. Her father, on the other hand, has lost his liveliness. He is often lost in his thoughts, he doesnt participate in the business like he used to – it is almost like he is giving in to the agony. He lost his sparkle and Elizabeth is scared that he will never be the same and that is why she wants to be with him. After breakfast, Owen and Silas went to the office, while Elizabeth was left alone. It has been a week since her father often visits the office to look after some things – it really must take his mind of misery. She would have gone to see Charlie and Maria, but they both were busy today. Maria was spending time with her father while Charlie had a doctors appointment. Elizabeth volunteered to look after Kathie, but she wanted to go to her neighbor and friend, Kayden. So, in the end, it was just her and Bear in the penthouse after the housekeeper were done with their jobs.

Elizabeth hasnt been doing much for the past few weeks. She was mostly surrounded by her family, but now that everyone was getting back to life, she felt lonely. She doesnt blame anyone for going back to the life she anathematizes herself for not able to move on – she feels stuck. She was perplexed by her feelings and it was only making her agitated. She blew her cheeks out and rested her head on the header of the couch. Bear jumps on the couch and sat beside her – she turned her head to look at the huge dog and sighed before scratching him behind his ear. Bear yawned and put his head on Elizabeths lap – she smiled, Hey, Bear are you tired? She asked him. Bear let out another yawn causing Elizabeth to chuckle, So am I, She replied. Elizabeth mashed her lips together, I am mentally drained, She blew her cheeks and continued, I am so confused. I feel so troubled and you know what, Bear? She asked him while staring into nothing. I dont even know what is bothering me. I dont know why I am unable to move on. She told him. I hated her, right? She whispered to him.

Soon Bear fell asleep on the floor while Elizabeth played a game on her cell phone – she has been avoiding all the text messages and calls from family and friends. She is tired of condolences – she wanted to get away from it. She was just about to complete the level when her cell phone rang – she tsk and looked at her callers identification to see it was someone she was ignoring the most, Freddie. She has been getting a lot of messages from him, but she didnt reply to any of those. He was the one person that she didnt want to pay heed to, but during all this time he never called her – he just text messaged her. It was the first time he was calling her and even though, she wanted to look right through his existence – she somehow answered the call. No words were exchanged between the two of them for a few seconds – she knows that he was there, she could hear his breath. Hey, She heard him after a long pause. She closed her eyes and heaved – it was the first time she was hearing his voice after he dumped her. She gulped, Hey, She replied impassively.