45: Blur.

It has been five days since the incident took place and Elizabeth still didn't gain her consciousness back. Leo hasn't seen her yet – he couldn't bring himself to go see her. She was in the same hospital but he just couldn't bring himself to see her in the condition she is in. He was told that she was out of any extreme danger but still doctors are keeping a close eye on her since she hasn't gained her consciousness back yet. It was already hard enough for Leo to know that today Elizabeth was in this condition and Rene was gone because of him. He knows he didn't do it but yet he feels responsible for everything. Maria and his father come to meet him daily. Mr. Harrison even came to see him a few times in the last five days but Silas didn't show up – not even once. Not that Leo was expecting him to visit Leo but he thought that he would come and confined him for putting his sister in such a situation. Leo expected the same from Mr. Harrison but he didn't do it either in fact – he never once brought up Elizabeth in front of him – no one does until he asks them himself. That is another reason why he was so scared to see her – what if everyone was lying to him and Elizabeth wasn't okay?

After five long and excruciating days, Leo was getting discharged. During these five days, Leo was visited by the police every day to question him and take in his statement. He wasn't a fool – he knows that at one time the police even suspected him to be involved in the shooting but after his alibi – the police didn't question him like he was one of the suspects. Still, he had to see them this afternoon again. Mia was in their custody – she will be presented in front of a judge in two weeks while Liam was with his grandmother. They came to visit him as well. Where Mia's mother was shocked and couldn't believe that her daughter had such criminal tendencies – Liam, even being a child, didn't seem shocked. The poor girl has been through so much under his mother's protection. That is another thing Leo is feeling guilty for – Mia was doing everything for her child and Leo was blinded and couldn't see what Liam was going through.

Leo was sitting on his hospital bed with his fresh clothes on his body – he was going home – a place where he never wants to return. He heard a knock on the door before the door opened and Gavin walked in with a smile on his face, "You are finally going home, buddy." He said cheerfully but went silent when Leo didn't answer her. Gavin sighed and looked at the papers in his hand, "You will have to be on rest for the next two weeks. Your wound might be healing but you are not allowed to do any kind of labor for the next two weeks." Gavin told Leo. Leo looked at his friend and a colleague before he gulped and asked, "How is Elizabeth now?" He asked. Gavin didn't expect him to ask him this out of nowhere. Gavin nodded his head, "She is fine now," He replied before he walked closer and started to tell Leo about the medicines he will have to take and about his next appointment but Leo cut him off in the middle, "Tell me the truth, Gav. How is she doing?" Leo asked again.

Gavin looked at his friend wordlessly before he sighed and bobbed his head. He knows that Leo wasn't going to let this go until he answers him in detail. He put the papers on the bed and sat beside him before he blew his cheeks out. It was safe to tell Leo the complete truth now. After a pause, Gavin spoke, "She is out of extreme danger. Last night she was shifted from the critical unit to her private room. Her vitals are getting better with each day passing but – um – but she hasn't woken up yet. A lot of medical procedures now depend on how long she takes to wake up." Gavin answered his friend softly. Leo was also a doctor he didn't need to listen to anything else. He knows what it was about. He knows that there is a possibility that Elizabeth might take a long time to wake up or God forbid – he didn't even want to think about anything worse. He let out a shaky breath as his eyes glossed.

Gavin saw the moisture in Leo's eyes and placed his hand on his shoulder, "She will wake up soon. She is showing improvement every day. I am telling you – she will get better. You don't have to worry about anything." Gavin said. Leo didn't want to talk about how he was feeling to anyone – like he always does. The only person he opened up to was Elizabeth and now – he felt like she was drifting away as well. Gavin got on his feet, "I will go and prepare your discharge papers," He told Leo. Leo only bobbed his head without looking at Gavin. Gavin wordlessly picked up the papers from the bed and walked out of Leo's room – just when Maria walked in. "Oh, hey Dr. Pollard." Maria greeted Gavin on his way out. Gavin smiled and greeted her back before he walked out and Maria came in. "Hey, brother." She tried to sound as cheerful as she could.