4: His Everyday Life

Attention: Code Blue, first floor, room number A21. Leo was about to change his clothes and go back home after a long shift when an automated code blue announcement is made while Leos pager goes off at the same time. He looks at it and cursed under his breath before putting on the shirt back and tried his best to run as fast as he could to one of his patients room. He hissed as he felt pain shooting up his left leg, but he tried to ignore it and each to his patients room as quickly as he could. He barged into the room A21 to see Mrs. Walberg lying unresponsively while she was surrounded by nurses. Emily, a nurse looked at Leo rushing to the unresponsive Mrs. Walberg, Cardiac arrest, She informed him while he gave her CPR. Another nurse placed a manual resuscitator over her mouth and pumped the oxygen – while another nurse scribed the code blue record. Leo stops the compression and turned his head to the heart rate monitor to check the rhythm. Looks like we need defibrillation, Emily said and Leo nodded his head. Yeah, defibrillate to 150 joules, He orders the nurse who nodded her head and started to charge while Leo places the paddles anterior lateral position. Everythings clear? Leo asked another nurse who was pumping the oxygen and nodded, Oxygens clear. She affirmed. Clear, Leo said and Emily defibrillated at 150 joules. Leo gazed at the monitor, Emily, go back to compression. Silvia, I need one milligram of epinephrine. He asked the nurse who was scribing down the code blue.

Shift her to the CCU and inform Dr. Pollard about Mrs. Walbergs condition, Leo instructed Silvia. Silvia nodded and walks away while Leo limped to Mr. Walberg. Mr. Walberg held Leos hand as soon as he halts – his eyes widened probably because he saw his wife in such away. Is she okay? Is she going to be okay? He questioned him. Leo nodded his head, She is stable now. We will be keeping her in the intense care unit for a day. Dr. Bale will talk to you in person about her conditions – she is okay right now. He informed him. Leo eased once he saw Mr. Walberg reassured. Leo walked towards the nurse station to fill in Mrs. Walbergs health progress and her recent code blue. He was scribing on her case file when he heard his name being called. Leo? I thought you have gone home. Leo turned his head around to look at his fellow doctor, Amanda Fletcher.

He glanced at her before resuming writing down the patients condition, Yeah, there was a blue code. He told her. Amanda knitted her eyebrows, Blue code – for whom? She asked. Mrs. Walberg. He answered short. Oh, she exclaimed. Is she okay? She asked him. He nodded his head and returned the file to the nurse before putting the pen down at the station. He turned around to look at Amanda, Yeah, she is alright. I have shifted her to ICU. He informed her. I should go home now. He said to her before he started to walk towards the locker room. Amanda noticed him limping and walked along with him, Is it hurting again? She asked him. Leo sighed, It is not so bad, He answered and walked in the empty locker room with Amanda on his tail. Amanda twisted her lips and leaned against one of the lockers. She folded her arms on her chest and chuckled, Please dont tell me that you are going to drive when your knee hurts, She said. Leo ignores her and collected his belonging before closing his locker and turning around.

I am okay. I can drive. He told her. He had his shirt in his hand. He went behind the curtains and came out with a changed blue Henley shirt. Amanda rolled her eyes, You shouldnt. It can be dangerous – not just for you but for other people on-road as well. She insisted. She heaved, Let me drive you home. She offered. Leo looked at her and tilted his head, You dont have a ride, do you? He asked her. She scoffed and narrowed her eyes and spoke after a small paused with her eyebrow rose, Why did you ask when you already know? She said. Leo chuckled and shook his head. Amanda pouted, My stupid brother has my car. Come on, Leo – lets help out each other. I will drive your car. I live near your building – I can walk home from there. Please dont let me take a bus or cab so late at night. She pleaded. Leo sighed, Fine, but I am driving – you are an awful driver. He said and limped his way out of the locker room. Amanda gasped and followed him out, I am not. I just drive cautiously. You see Leo, I dont want to die soon, and have you seen the road accident rates in Chicago lately? It is scary. She told him. Leo sighed out loud and halted in front of the elevator and turned his head to look at Amanda. Amanda pressed her lips together, Thats right, I will shut up now and change. Wait for me in the car – if you leave without me – I swear I will make your life a living hell. She narrowed her eyes before turning around and rushing towards the girls locker room. Like it already isnt, Leo whispered to himself once she was gone.