5: Doctors Are Not Gods

Marcus unzipped the luggage as the Harrison family sat around. Silas still didnt want to do this, but Elizabeth talked him into it. Elizabeth will be leaving for Chicago in two days. She didnt want to leave without seeing what her mother left for her. She wants to leave everything behind to start new – she decided to dump all her bad memories behind her and move to start a new chapter. Elizabeth knows that she can never forget about her mother, but she can make peace with her memories before she moves to Chicago and thats what she is doing.

Marcus pulls out the first present that was wrapped in a sparkly pink sheet. He stared at it for a while before sighing, There is a card on this one, He speaks out. Read it, Owen replied short. Marcus glanced at his father before he opened the card that was stick on the present and read, Dear Marcus and Charlotte, He paused – he gulped and stared at the box. Charlie mashed her lips together and put her hand on Marcus' shoulder. Marcus lightly squeezed her hand on his shoulder and continued reading, Dear Marcus and Charlotte, I dont how you will feel about this, I bought this gift for my granddaughter, Kathryn. If you both feel okay – please let her have this. I never bonded with my granddaughter and believe me when I say this that I regret it. Please let her have this. This way maybe I will be in peace and I will feel that I am a little closer to her. Love, Kathryns grandma. Marcus read out. There was absolute silence for a couple seconds. Kathie sat beside Charlie looking around at her family. Marcus turned around to Kathie, Hey sweetie, see what Grandma sent for you. He said while his eyes glossed. Kathie looked at the present her father was holding in his hands and gasped, A present! she excitedly took it from his hand and squealed for everyone to chuckle.

Kathie turned to Charlie, Mama, I want to thank Grandma. Where is she? Kathie innocently asked and once again everyone went silent. Kathie was at Rubys funeral, but she is too young to process what happened and who died. She was mostly busy with playing with other kids. Charlie glanced at Marcus before she answered her unaware daughter, Honey, she lives far away from us. She cant visit us here so that is why she sent you the gift. But we can thank her in our hearts. Charlie answered. Does she live in the space? Thats where Kaydens grandma lives. She asked Marcus. Marcus smiled, Yes, thats where she lives. He answered. Kathie gasped, I hope Kaydens grandma and my grandma are neighbors. She said eagerly.

Elizabeth found it funny how children would believe anything they are told. They are lied to, make believe the impossible and manipulated, yet they are happy with what they have. How much Elizabeth wishes to be as heedless as children could be. She has learned that knowing truth often hurts. Marcus continued taking out wrapped boxes one after another – she left presents for Maria, Charlotte and even for Marcuss unborn child. Everyone got something from Ruby, but no one opened it – no one felt like it. It was something very personal for everyone – they agreed to open them in private. In the very end, two wrapped boxes were in for Elizabeth. She hesitated to receive them but eventually accepted it. Everyone was quiet after receiving their presents – Elizabeth felt fidgety by the sudden glumness. To lighten everyones up she started to talk about random things – trying to divert their attention. She doesnt know if it worked exactly – since everyone participated in the conversation, but it felt forced. She didnt care about it as long as they werent talking about her mother.

After everybody left Elizabeth went to the balcony and lights a cigarette – she has been smoking a lot since her mother died. It was cold outside, her mind was still at her mother and she is nervous about moving to another city where she doesnt know anyone, she could really use one cigarette. She puffed out the smoke as she rubbed her hand on her arm – it was getting really chilling in New York. She was looking out the city over the top when she heard someone coming in – she quickly hid the cigarette – in case if it was her dad. She knows how much he disapproves of smoking since his own father passed away of lung cancer – he was a chain smoker. She heard Silas chuckling, Dont worry it is just me and you really need to go easy on those cigarettes – you have been smoking a lot lately. He said as he sat beside her and sighed as he looked around the city of lights. Elizabeth nodded, I know. I just really needed one. She replied. Both of them were quiet for a while before Silas spoke, It all looks so peaceful from up here and once you get down – you realize how messy it can be and how chaotic it is. Silas said while his eyes were wandering out. Thats life, Elizabeth commented. Silas chuckled and nodded, You are right – that is life. You shouldnt be worried about it either. It might look difficult, but once you get into it – it will soon become easy and everything will eventually make sense. He advised his sister.